How can you get MALU ANENOMIES to stay where you want them?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently couldn't help myself buying a nice (quite large!) Malu anenomie ,I brought it home and floated the bag for 30 mins, I then started adding small amounts of my water into the bag, eventually i put it in. Its been 4 days now and the ?!@!╚&▐ thing still wont settle anywhere, it started heading for the powerhead (exactly where i dont want it) so i switched it off for now. Its now been everywhere from the top of the rockwork to the glass, is there anyway i can get it to settle nicely on the rocks where i want it (lol) ??

i have 125w Mh lighting (+ two 38w tubes {t8})
900ltr/hr Maxijet powerhead,

Help Wanted and Appriciated, Many Thanks !!! :D

Heteractis species of anemone love light and prefer higher water flow that most host species. It seems to be looking for more of both. This species also prefers to hide it's foot.

How big is the tank and can you post a pic with a full tank shot?

Cheers
Steve

Heteractis species of anemone love light and prefer higher water flow that most host species. It seems to be looking for more of both. This species also prefers to hide it's foot.

How big is the tank and can you post a pic with a full tank shot?

picture not possible (phone>computer data transfer cable dodgey!!) - the tank though is quite shallow (only 13-14 inches) so the mh would easily penetrate right to even the bottom of the tank. the tank is 4ft long, 1 ft wide,32 gal, and the powerhead (i think) can get current at least halfway across the tank (i am hoping to get another one on the other side of the tank but have not had chance yet !!) - i am trying to avoid having the malu going right into the corner of the tank though, which is easier said than done! there are also some quite large holes on the rockwork but it hasn't gone into these either, any help !?

I have 3 rose Anemones that are 14 to 22 inches across. They move till they find a spot they like and generally stay there. You need to provide the right conditions where you want them to be. waiting is not an option on your part, you are there keeper. I have a 90gal. corner tank.

OceanMist said:
picture not possible (phone>computer data transfer cable dodgey!!) -
Unfortunate, it would have made it easier to suggest options.

the tank though is quite shallow (only 13-14 inches) so the mh would easily penetrate right to even the bottom of the tank. the tank is 4ft long, 1 ft wide,32 gal, and the powerhead (i think) can get current at least halfway across the tank (i am hoping to get another one on the other side of the tank but have not had chance yet !!)
The problem I see here is the conditions throughout the tank are not "uniform". The flow is coming from primarily one direction causing a slowdown towards one end of the tank. Most likely you have the MH in the center which means the outer area is meeting the flow needs but not the light needs. For ideal coverage, you need two MH lamps for a 4 foot tank. One alone in not sufficient.

- i am trying to avoid having the malu going right into the corner of the tank though, which is easier said than done! there are also some quite large holes on the rockwork but it hasn't gone into these either, any help !?
You have to let it go where it wants except if risking harm to itself. Moving it will only make matter worse and often stress them severely. As far as the rock, the holes/crevaces are good but if the light/flow conditions are not met as well, you don't have "the package".

Cheers
Steve

okay, i will let it choose, however, say it was to stick to the corner near the powerhead would 2, 38w lights be enough light for it or would you reccommend re-angling the mh ??

Actually you'll have better luck getting it to move to the MH if the water flow throughout the tank was coming from both ends rather than the one. If the flow through the tank is uniform, it's choices will be norrowed. More often than not anemones can be controlled by water movement rather than lighting.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom