Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Cyclops-eze is too big for a clam. They need DT's phyto or Phyto-Feast, etc.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by ryshark
My LFS said if they are not getting enough lighting then they will NOT open all the way up. Is this true?
It could also go the other way- at least at first. The clam may start to stretch it's mantle more than usual, under less than ideal lighting, to increase it's surface area in order to capture more light. By the time a clam stops opening, usually it's pretty stressed.
I'd place a Crocea in at least the top half of the tank, more preferably top 1/3rd w/ VHO's.
have been putting cylcopes into my aquarium as a source of phytoplankton
Cyclop-eeze is actually zooplankton(animal based). You'll need a good phytoplankton (plant based) in order to provide the clam the proper food, assuming it's necessary. As already suggested, I like DT's phyto. HTH

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
I purchased some DTs Phytoplankton yesterday. Is it ok to just add this to the water or do you think it is better to target feed? Thanks
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I dilute the DTs in a large cup of tank water, turn off the pump and PH's and then pour some over the clam so that it fans out and almost envelopes it. I might also put some oyster eggs in that cup. I've tried target feeding with a pipette and the clam always closes up when I try it.
Some people use the empty (cleaned) soda bottle where you cut off the botom of the bottle and place it over the clam, then pour some phyto down the top.
With small clams some folks target feed by removing the clam and placing it in a large bowl and then putting the phyto in the bowl. After 15 - 30 minutes the clam is placed back in the tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Look into using the rubbermain container method. This keeps the clam saturated in the DT's so it can eat a lot more.

Far Out Frags is offline   Reply With Quote

clam, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com