How can you tell if a clam is getting enough light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can you tell if a clam is getting enough lighting? My LFS said if they are not getting enough lighting then they will NOT open all the way up. Is this true? My clam is about 17" down from the surface and it is looking good but it has only been about 4-days. My plan is to move it up once it attaches itself to the small flat rock I put it on. I haven't checked to see if it has attached yet or not. It is a crocea under 440watts of VHO in a 75gallon. Thank you.

Boy that`s a tough one. I would say that it might not be enough for that type clam. I have the same set up as you except I have 6 ft bulbs. I have a squamosa clam as they take less light then the type you have. One thing I do is use URI VHO bulbs as they have internal reflectors and a reflector dome over those to utilize all the light. I`m thinking I heard others say you really need the intensity that MH`s give for Crocea`s. JMO

Im not sure but #1. I do not think that is enough light either and #2. I have never put a clam higher in the tank as they like to burrow in the sand in my tank. HTH

A crocea is a high light demanding clam. I don't think you have enuff light either.
I have never put a clam higher in the tank as they like to burrow in the sand in my tank.
Actually, croceas are rock boring clams. In the wild they are found buried in rock with only the mantle exposed. Some good clam info here

Thanks for the information. I read a thread from a google search about how they prefer rock placement, I also found threads from people who had success keeping with VHO and high placement. Then again I also read thread about people who have mandarins doing fine after putting in a tank after 6months with plenty of LR. Needless to say, I returned my mandarin to the LFS after a couple months when the stomach first started to cave in. Hopefully the crocea will be fine with the 6-watts per gallon of VHO otherwise I will return it too. I just wish there was a way I could tell. What the LFS store said about it being open all the way if it is happy may have just been a pitch to sell it.

How big is your clam?
Below about 3" they require supplemental feedings of phytoplankton (e.g. DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton). Larger clams should also get occasional supplemental feedings.

Mine is less than 3", probably around 2-2.5" I have been putting cylcopes into my aquarium as a source of phytoplankton. If there is something else I should be using instead, please let me know the brand name so I can go out and get it. Thanks.

DT's Pytoplankton is what I use...It's good stuff, my T.Crocea has been doing great with it. Of coarse he's also 9 inches from a 150W MH bulb as well.

That was a great article...Great Info.

ryshark said:
My LFS said if they are not getting enough lighting then they will NOT open all the way up. Is this true?
It could also go the other way- at least at first. The clam may start to stretch it's mantle more than usual, under less than ideal lighting, to increase it's surface area in order to capture more light. By the time a clam stops opening, usually it's pretty stressed.
I'd place a Crocea in at least the top half of the tank, more preferably top 1/3rd w/ VHO's.
have been putting cylcopes into my aquarium as a source of phytoplankton
Cyclop-eeze is actually zooplankton(animal based). You'll need a good phytoplankton (plant based) in order to provide the clam the proper food, assuming it's necessary. As already suggested, I like DT's phyto. HTH

I purchased some DTs Phytoplankton yesterday. Is it ok to just add this to the water or do you think it is better to target feed? Thanks

I dilute the DTs in a large cup of tank water, turn off the pump and PH's and then pour some over the clam so that it fans out and almost envelopes it. I might also put some oyster eggs in that cup. I've tried target feeding with a pipette and the clam always closes up when I try it.
Some people use the empty (cleaned) soda bottle where you cut off the botom of the bottle and place it over the clam, then pour some phyto down the top.
With small clams some folks target feed by removing the clam and placing it in a large bowl and then putting the phyto in the bowl. After 15 - 30 minutes the clam is placed back in the tank.

Look into using the rubbermain container method. This keeps the clam saturated in the DT's so it can eat a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom