Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

How can you tell if a clam is getting enough light?

How can you tell if a clam is getting enough lighting? My LFS said if they are not getting enough lighting then they will NOT open all the way up. Is this true? My clam is about 17" down from the surface and it is looking good but it has only been about 4-days. My plan is to move it up once it attaches itself to the small flat rock I put it on. I haven't checked to see if it has attached yet or not. It is a crocea under 440watts of VHO in a 75gallon. Thank you.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Boy that`s a tough one. I would say that it might not be enough for that type clam. I have the same set up as you except I have 6 ft bulbs. I have a squamosa clam as they take less light then the type you have. One thing I do is use URI VHO bulbs as they have internal reflectors and a reflector dome over those to utilize all the light. I`m thinking I heard others say you really need the intensity that MH`s give for Crocea`s. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im not sure but #1. I do not think that is enough light either and #2. I have never put a clam higher in the tank as they like to burrow in the sand in my tank. HTH
Old 12-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
A crocea is a high light demanding clam. I don't think you have enuff light either.
Quote:
I have never put a clam higher in the tank as they like to burrow in the sand in my tank.
Actually, croceas are rock boring clams. In the wild they are found buried in rock with only the mantle exposed. Some good clam info here
Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Thanks for the information. I read a thread from a google search about how they prefer rock placement, I also found threads from people who had success keeping with VHO and high placement. Then again I also read thread about people who have mandarins doing fine after putting in a tank after 6months with plenty of LR. Needless to say, I returned my mandarin to the LFS after a couple months when the stomach first started to cave in. Hopefully the crocea will be fine with the 6-watts per gallon of VHO otherwise I will return it too. I just wish there was a way I could tell. What the LFS store said about it being open all the way if it is happy may have just been a pitch to sell it.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol I stand corrected! now I need to look into getting a little one for the roof of my tank!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

How big is your clam?
Below about 3" they require supplemental feedings of phytoplankton (e.g. DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton). Larger clams should also get occasional supplemental feedings.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Great article CCCAPT. Thanks.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Mine is less than 3", probably around 2-2.5" I have been putting cylcopes into my aquarium as a source of phytoplankton. If there is something else I should be using instead, please let me know the brand name so I can go out and get it. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
DT's Pytoplankton is what I use...It's good stuff, my T.Crocea has been doing great with it. Of coarse he's also 9 inches from a 150W MH bulb as well.

That was a great article...Great Info.

Tags
clam, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com