how deep is your DSB!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have my "fuge" built how i want it, now it's time to add sand and i'm getting conflicting answers. please let me know how much sand is needed for my 27.5 gallon fuge. my tank is 120 gall.

thanks a lot!!

mark

What's the footprint on the fuge and what are the benefits you want to gain from it?

For a 'fuge smaller that a 30 gallon I recommend no more than 1/2" of sand. It's just too small to maintain a healthy deep sand bed.

yea my guess would be better to mabe fill the 30 half full of sand and have the other half for ya macros !!

SquishyFish said:
Thats interesting Bang...why would the foot print effect the DSB that much?

Squishy

A healthy sand bed required a large diversity of sand bed inhabitants. Many of the beneficial critters require open sand beds without being close to objects like tank walls. A refugium with a small footprint will be unable to keep these animals and the sandbed will lose a lot of its diversity fairly quickly. Without this diversity problems may develop like Anaerobic areas and even dead zones where bacteria have glued the sand grains together.

for 24" X 18" I think 4" would work well as long as it includes some high quality live sand. I thought this was half a 55 gallon? Wouldn't that only be 13" wide?

yes you're right my mistake . i was at work and was guessing. still 4"? can i mix live sand with southdown? or should it be all live sand?

I'd suggest Southdown on the bottom and then at least 1/2" of live sand (LIVE sand, not the bagged stuff).

Back
Top Bottom