How did YOU beat your Cyano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Help us beat Cyano!

There are many, many posts on this forum asking for help or insight to fighting and finally beating Cyano. It sure seems to be a problem for a lot of people here (including myself).

What I'm asking here is for anyone that has fought and beaten cyano, to help all of us out and let us know what you did to beat it.

What did you do to beat the Cyano plague?

Thanks for any help.

I identified the source of the cyno as PO4 in my source water. I do have an RO/DI filter at home but found it was time to replace the DI membrane and resin. I then used Chemi-Clean to rid my tank of the existing cyno. I now just keep a eye onmy source water for PO4.

After never having a speck of cyano for my first 15+ months in the hobby, I got it soon after upgrading tanks. So far I've:
1) Bought a PO4 test kit 1st.
2) Added a skimmer to my set up.
3) Added a DI to my RO and got a TDS meter.
4) Became more aware of what, when, and how much I feed.
5) Started using POLY filters.
The cyano is not 100% gone but it only grows in 2-3 spots now-mostly on plastic equipment. I have to remove what is there about every 7-10 days using a turky baster. It is ALLOT less than what I had before taking these steps.
BTW, great thread.

Lando, where do you buy your DI resin? I have noticed even w/ new DI resin I still see PO4 in my RO/DI water even though TDS is 0 :? I would like to try another resin, Thanks.

Cyno.... I put 2 new bulbs in, syphoned off the cyno every time I did a WC, started doing monthly WC, hooked up a phosban reactor and what seemed to help out the most was get a bigger GPH return pump. knock on wood...

MT79, Resindepot and airwaterice.com both sell good resin, you may want to think about running a 2nd Di to help out with with that problem. I run 2 and alot of my friends run 2 and just rotate the 2nd one to the first one with you see TDS.
PO4 will not be picked up by a TDS meter.. As you know..

Got it from a LFS. The membrane was like $60 but the canister with resin was only $15.

you may want to think about running a 2nd Di to help out with with that problem. I run 2 and alot of my friends run 2
Seaham, Did you and/or your friends have PO4 getting through before adding the 2nd DI?
PO4 will not be picked up by a TDS meter.. As you know..
That is what I assumed but I wasn't positive, thanks.

Time and patience.

I changed my bulbs. I added a skimmer, and changed my food that I was feeding my fish. I also used that chemi-clean stuuf, but it didn't cure it.

I never tested for po4 in my water until recently so I can't say, I was going through resin quickly so I added a 2nd. My frined had tested and had some po4.
buckeye supply has housings for an extra cartridge.
I do have po4 in my water before the filter and 0 after, I am running 2 different water filters for my tanks. I run a kold steril and ro/di, the KS has no waste water so I was trying that out on my reef and thats when i had the cyno issue. Its funny I run KS in my 55 and have no algae and I ran it in my 125 and had tons of cyno... the lighting is the only big difference... so IMO running 2 Dis helps.... It may sound funny but I seem to use less resin running 2...
Try using a better quality resin and if that does not help then you should run 2 DIs.

buckeye supply has housings for an extra cartridge
That is where I bought my current add on DI and resin refills from. I guess when this DI resin is done I'll try someone else's and see if that does anything. Thanks Seaham

Back
Top Bottom