Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How did YOU deal with your mantis shrimp?

I ordered an XTerminator trap, which I'll try first. In the meantime, all new additions are on hold until I get the bugger. Once I get the XTerminator, I have to decide how long to continue to try it.

Any feelings about the following options?

1) Traps

2) FW dip of live rock

3) Hypersalinity dip (1.04 SG)

4) Club soda injections into LR holes?

5) Pour full strength Clorox bleach into tank

(ok, maybe not #5).

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to born2chill
Whatever you do, do not expose your rock to hyposalinity!!!! It will kill off just about all the life on your rock and you can expect a large ammonia spike from the dieoff that will ensue.

60 lbs aragonite sand
2 maxijet 1200 powerheads
Eheim 2026 Professional II Canister Filter
Aquac Remora Pro skimmer
300 watt heater
yellow tang, Large Blue Hippo Tang, Tomato clown, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 7 Mex. turbo snails,
2 peppermint shrimp, 10 nas. snails
large candy cane, supercolored zoos.

30 gal QT
2 penguin 200B HOT filters
150 watt heater
maxijet 600 ph
Bicolor Angel, Clown Tang
born2chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

The only thing I have caught with the X-terminator is my skunk cleaners and diff types of crabs. I bought the trap as soon as I saw the mantis. Then while waiting for it to get to my house I caught the mantis. I have one more mantis that I can hear, but I am yet to see this one. The trap has been in the tank everynight for over 2 weeks. The good news is that the trap works and the mantis that is in there really does not hurt anything.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

?
Quote:
Then while waiting for it to get to my house I caught the mantis

How did you catch it????

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I caught mine by identifying which rock he was living in, removing that rock to a bucket of regular tank water, then plunging the rock in and out of the tank water a few times. By the 3rd or 4th plunge, he abandoned ship into the bucket.

He now lives in a 5 gallon beside the main tank.

If he won't jump for it, suspend the rock above the bottom of the bucket (rock still submerged), and place food at the bottom of the bucket. Wait...when he goes for the food, pull the rock out. Best if the food is attached to something so he has to work at it for a few seconds. Don't leave the food in there too long or you will build up ammonia in the bucket and damage the rock.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I used a cold Saltwater after sitting in it for a little while he came out a little then I took a bamboo scewer and pride it out of the whole.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Watch you tank and find out where it lives. If you can remove that rock while the shrimp's still in it you've got a number of options to chase it out and catch it.
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Sea Hare (a short lived species)
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Pencil Urchin
1 Sand Sifter Star
Assorted hermit crabs & snails
Button Polyps
Green Mushroom coral
SpiffyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just saw him! I jabbed at the hole with a bamboo and then a stainless steel skewer for 5 min (I know, metal in the tank :| ). I think I enlarged the hole 1/4" by scraping, plunging, poking and jabbing with the skewer.

Now I have to get rid of my peppermint shrimp, whcih are apparently mowing down a group of little baby featherduster on a rock, which look like a field of dandelions (a.k.a. my back yard). They took care of my little field of aiptasia, though, which looked like a field of dandelions ...

Livestock I added:

Old 03-15-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My peppermint shrimp did the exact same thing... mowed down a bunch of feather dusters (after getting rid of all my aptasia).
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
I'm SURE #5 would work!
though I wouldnt suggest it.

on the other hand.........their so **** resilient they would probably survive!!! j/k

Tags
mantis shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com