Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do I approach this situation??

Today I am getting 2 bags of bugs for my goby. One contains 100 mysis shrimp one contains 100 copepods. I was just gonna dump um all in my fuge and be done with (after acclimating them of course) but I was told that the mysis will eat all the copepods and I don't want that ... you know the defination of fuge being a predator free environment all that would mess everthing up. So I was told to put the copepods into the fuge and dump the shrimp in the main tank. Here is my quandry... How do I get them in there and at least give some of them a chance to survive for a little while? It would be really cool if I could sneak them in and my little goby could find them on his never ending hunt picking some off but also having some of them get into the rocks and breeding thus renewing the food resource after time. Is there a way I can sneak them in? or do I just dump them in and hope for the best?

Suggestions?

Doan

Old 03-19-2004, 01:35 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I would submerge the bag and then spray them into your rock work. There will be a feed frenzy at first, but this will give them a slightly better chance being closer to hiding spots.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have tons of mysids living and breeding in my LR. i don't have any fish predators for them though, just a brittle star, two cleaner shrimp a bunch of crabs, and they arn't the best at catching them. you'll want to get them into the rock to give thema chance to survive and breed. just dumping them in will allow some to get in, but also a lot to get eaten by fish, etc. i would try the turkey baster thing. suck them all up with a turkey baster and skirt them into a direct hole or near a piece of porous LR. doing this at night or when the lights are off will also help their chances. HTH
Old 03-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could also feed your fish well before hand. Also putting the critters in with the lights out will help.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

why not feed the fish as your putting them in...more food in the water increases their chance of survival.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Doan: What did these critters cost? I need to do the same thing ...
Old 03-19-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got them here http://www.aquaculturestore.com/swinverts.html and they cost me about $40.00 I actually found this link in a post here on monday. The seem real easy to work with and if everhting shows up alive I would say it's well worth it.
I'll let you know the condition they show up in when I get home.

Doan
Old 03-19-2004, 02:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Everyone here has the right ideas, feed your fish well, turn off your flow, get the baster and gently blow them to your rocks, give them about 2 hours before you kick your circulation back on. Thats what I did in my tank.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks all Thats what I will do..

Doan
Old 03-31-2004, 12:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

How did your pods come out?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com