how do I aquascape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got my first LR.com order for my 29 bow. Most pieces are softball size or slightly larger. One piece is bigger, probably 15-18 inches long. I don't know how I'm going to arrange these... should I stack them up? The pieces seem too small to make tunnels from.

Don't let me sound like I'm complaining... this rock is awesome, I'm just inexperienced. I've been looking at photos of others' work but my pieces don't seem to be shaped right.

Probably gonna have to stack them against the back wall for stability. How many lbs didja get? I'd probbaly try to use the smaller oes on the bottom and wedge the 18" long pc over them in some way to create a swim through area. Maybe the long pc slanted from into the bed up to and over the smaller rock on the other side.

Gonna have to play with for a while to get the effect you're looking for.

Also, I like recommending folks push the bottom layer of rock into the bed so that burrowing creatures don't start an avalanche. Also, when I stack mine, I try to imagine me pushing the rock a bit to try to imitate the strongest creature in the tank that might push'm. I know, that may be hard to imagine, but keeping your hands wet, situating and re-situating will ultimately get you somewhere.

I guess the easiest thing to tell you is it is your personal preference. A lot of people like to make sure that there is a lot of flow throught the wrongs to prevent dead spots. The best thing to do is just look on the internet and fellow reefers aquascaping and get an idea of how you want to do it. If you want to check out my aquascaping, just click on my website under this message and go to the pictures page. I have a 30 gallon so both of our tanks are about the same size so should be close.

HTH,
Josh

My best aquascapes happened when i was not trying. I just stacked the rock any old way and it usually worked out better then when i sat there and stared at it overthinking

Another thing to keep in mind is whether or not you plan on adding any rock, and whether or not you plan on adding things like scallops, clams, what kind of fish you want, if you want to have caves and clefts instead of tunnels...

Back
Top Bottom