How do i breed clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jawaits

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am trying to make money for my dream tank I have two clown fish one med one small in a 20 gal with two damsels how can I promised a breeding behavior I've tried music but nothing

Did u try love songs must be love songs also u need to light candles

I'm going to assume this is not a troll. If you're serious about breeding you need perfect conditions. That means a big enough tank for the clowns, ideally no tank mates. Something to host, although they'll host anything. You need a true mated pair that gets along, a couple in other words.
Then all you can do is keep up water quality, a tight schedule for lighting and water changes. And wait.
Once they lay eggs you shouldn't disturb them. Wait until the fry is hatched and start feeding them ground food. Increase water change frequency, you now have a lot of fish, not just the 2(they'll also grow faster). If you're lucky and everything goes right you'll end up with a bunch of baby-clowns. Let me know when you reach that stage and we can talk further!

I've seen people do it in five gal ( a yen divided in 2)

Gotta have bit of luck I think depends if they fancy each other

I have bred clowns before. The worse part is waiting for the clowns to pair up. I dont buy them in mated pairs because it is more expensive and really not necessary. In my experience they do need something to host in. I have a pair of onyx clowns that are in my 150 gallon with 11 other fish and they lay eggs every two weeks like clockwork. They host in a carpet anemone and lay their eggs right under the carpet anemone.

If you raised them from fry, let us know what kinda things happen after they lay eggs. That's the easy part. Separating, feeding, etc. Think it could be done in a 20g?

When i have hatched the eggs in my tank i remove the fry and pit them into a ten gallon

The first week they eat rotifers. After that u have to hatch a batch of brine shrimp everyday and feed them that for about two to three weeks. The reason u have to hatch a new batch everyday is because they only hold their nutritional value for the first 18 hours after they hatch. After that they are worthless. After the second week of brine shrimp u have to try to get them off the live food and eating frozen food. So u will be making brine shrimp everyday for about 3 to 4 weeks. Not fun!!!

Back
Top Bottom