How do I feed the crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill P

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not sure how long I will feel the need to begin with this disclaimer, but: I'm new at this.

So...I have a 30 gallon tank, with about 20 lbs of live rock. Sadly, Ich has overtaken all of my fish, and they are in a couple of quarantine tanks, where I hope they won't all die. That leaves 2 snails and 2 emerald crabs in my main tank, waiting for a month or so, while the Dreaded Spotty Plague dies off.

Here's my question: How do I feed the crabs?

Thanks!

Emerald crabs will eat of the rocks, I also give mine half of a thawed krill every now and then. I just hold it in front of him and he will take it.

Thanks, Hinds04. How often do you feed the crab? At some point, won't they have eaten everything on the rocks? I don't imagine that crabs are particularly high-maintenance pets, but -- without any fish in the tank -- it somehow seems like I'm in danger of leaving them to fend for themselves on the surface of the moon.

They will eat the algae that continues to grow. 2 emeralds and 2 snails in that tank will never run out of food. You will want a fish in there though or your live rock will slowly die off with no ammonia source. I will feed him a 1/4-1/2 a krill once a week or so... just a little treat.

I would add some food to the tank every 3-4 days not only for the crabs but that some will decompose to feed the nitrifying bacteria on your LR. Not alot but some.

Back
Top Bottom