How do I get rid of brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
My FOWLR tank is having a brown algae bloom. It is very new, about 5 weeks old. My nitrate level is zero and other parameters are good too. I have been removing the brown algae manually by hand and making water changes, but it continues to grow. I have also been very cautious with feeding. So how can I get rid of the brown algae? Will snails or hermit crabs or cleaner shrimps do the job?

I had the same problem for a long time until I discovered miracle water also known as RO water. After a few days of water changes with RO and using it as top off water the brown algae started to dissipate. I am sure others will key in their thoughts on the brown algae and RO water.

HTH,
Andrew

Guess i've been lucky...i use well water and no problems yet...however i'm not taking any chances..I'm switching to RO..hehe

Diatom blooms are common in new tanks, the diatoms will crash once they've burned up whatever nutrients they are feeding on, usually take 2-3 weeks, if the tank is cycled you can add some herbivorous snails and they should mop them up pretty good.

yeah just give it some time and it should die off after all the nutrients have been used.. just as reefrunner said.

I had the same problem. I got some snails (thanks Kevin!) and they've been doing a great job with brown algae. 5 sand sifting snails (not sure what they are specifically), and 3 turbos.

For now, I'm still using tap water.

5 sand sifting snails (not sure what they are specifically
Probably Nasarrius snails. Do they have a proboscus that extends out of the sand when they dig around. They're pretty quick too, for a snail anyways.

Yup, that's them. They are fast! I wasn't sure what they were because they're so large. I think they are giant nassarius snails or something like that, the LFS just called them sand sifting snails.

Back
Top Bottom