how do I get rid of this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*sharkbait*

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First what is it, I assume a hair algea but does anybody know what kind. 2nd, how do I get rid of this nusiance, I try to pick it off but grows right back, Did water changes every 2 weeks, no help, tried some Mexican Turbo snails, no luck. Im looking for any help in getting rid of this stuff of course without drastically hurting the other animals in the tank.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0954e.jpg
    IMG_0954e.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 107
Water flow, and stop feeding quite so much. I fought with this for 2 years and was almost ready to empty my tank and throw it in the dumpster. I had tried everything, pulling, scrubbing, chemicals, nothing worked. I mean I would get a little relief but then it was back and most of the time worse than before.

To give you a little info on my tank : I have a 150 gal tank with about 250 lbs of rock 4 or 5 small to med fish, Current usa 5 ft lights with 10K and duel antics, had a emperor 400, a penguin 300, a Mag drive 12 feeding from the sump (29 gal), thought that was a plenty plus I had 4 or 5 ph's in the tank as well. Got tired of the garbage with the hair algae so I got my spare mag 9.5 and put it in 1 end of the tank pointing across the back (on 15 min off 15 min, and off at night), replaced the 400 and the 300 with 2 new penguin 350's (best investment in a filter lately), continued to pull out the big stuff (don't scrub it will make it spread). Today I ordered another 9.5 to put oin the other side of the tank so I can alternate between the 2 (kinda like creating a current).

Since doing this my toad stools have gone nuts (I'm now up to 10, 2 originals and 8 "sprouts" (if you can call them that), my hair algea is GONE. I did loose my yellow tang but I think it was sick, just looked funny but I got it out of the tank.

The only problem with my setup is with that much current flow your sand moves around a bit (if you point the 9.5 at the sand you will have sand covering everything (and I do mean everything))

If you need any assistance feel free to ask. I hope my info has helped you

Last edited:
Check your phosphates, you might have introduced a boat load if you used tap water. Dont use tapwater, ever. I was having issues with hair algae once my tank cycled. All i had to do is add a lawnmower blenny and some astrea snails. They fixed that problem within a couple of days. I also have been told that tangs eat the stuff up quickly but my advice is Astrea snails and the lawnmower blenny. You will be entertained for days with the blenny.

GHA is ussually the product of several causes in a tank. As mentioned, test for PO4 first. Test the tank water and your source water. Takes steps to ensure you are using a high-quality source water for PWC and top-offs. Next, evaluate feeding. How often, how much, what, and how you prepare it. Increase water flow in you tank with an additional powerhead or two. Check the age of your bulbs. As bulbs age, the color or "temp" tends to slip down on the spectrum.

To get rid of the exsisting algae keep up on the water changes. Also, take out any rocks and scrub them in a bucket of SW to mannually remove all of the algae. This is a long slow battle, but if persistant, it can be won.

Check your phosphates, you might have introduced a boat load if you used tap water. Dont use tapwater, ever. I was having issues with hair algae once my tank cycled. All i had to do is add a lawnmower blenny and some astrea snails. They fixed that problem within a couple of days. I also have been told that tangs eat the stuff up quickly but my advice is Astrea snails and the lawnmower blenny. You will be entertained for days with the blenny.

I can't keep lawnmowers, they were eating until they ate themselves to death.

GHA is ussually the product of several causes in a tank. As mentioned, test for PO4 first. Test the tank water and your source water. Takes steps to ensure you are using a high-quality source water for PWC and top-offs. Next, evaluate feeding. How often, how much, what, and how you prepare it. Increase water flow in you tank with an additional powerhead or two. Check the age of your bulbs. As bulbs age, the color or "temp" tends to slip down on the spectrum.

To get rid of the exsisting algae keep up on the water changes. Also, take out any rocks and scrub them in a bucket of SW to mannually remove all of the algae. This is a long slow battle, but if persistant, it can be won.

My paramters were in line. my only problem apparently was low water flow, since upgrading my water flow and pulling the GHA out a little at the time mine is gone.

its always a good idea to melt frozen foods in a brine shrimp net otherwise you can introduce phosphates inadvertently. Don't place cubes directly into your tank. and NEVER use tap water. Get RO water at your local pet shop.

I am battling a new tank diatom/hair algea/green algae bloom right now myself.

I also have ricordea mushrooms in there. - will blacking out the lighting affect them? I assume it would so I am scared to let it go dark, plus it takes a lot of pleasure out of viewing the tank.

What if I run actinics only? Or I guess just halving the lighting like it says in the 10 step would be a good start.

It also looks like you may have a rather large aiptasia in there too.

Will aiptasia mess up corals that surround it. My friend has some green star polyps that are not looking as hot as they probably could. I was wondering if maybe the aiptasia was messing with them

Yep, they will sting and multiply like crazy, if left unchecked.

Back
Top Bottom