How do i get ride of this algee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beano1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have lots of purple/brown patches of algee on my sand? How do i get rid of it? Inverts?

Any chance you can get a pic?
What/how much, how often are you feeding?
How long do you run your lights?

I doubt if any inverts mess with cyano. I would IMO do a 20% PWC and use the syphon hose to draw it out and then cut back on feedings and light schedule till excessive nutrients are in check. Keep up with a weekly 10-20% PWC schedule to dilute them.

how do i cut back on feeding when i feed once a day? Once every other day?

beano1 said:
how do i cut back on feeding when i feed once a day? Once every other day?
Yep, I do it every other day.
What are you feeding/how much?
What is your lighting cycle?
To be realistic, more frequent PWCs, would really help reduce the DOC in your tank, and reduce the cyano. I had it not too long ago, and the only way I wiped it out was, 25% PWC (in my 55G), siphoned it out (I think this REALLY helped).

i feed my clown 1 or 2 flakes, my tang lettuce, and i target feed my anemonie brine shrimp

I don't believe you really need to feed the anenmoe (at least from a lot of the posts I have read), of course that may depend on the maturity of your tank and possibly the lighting. Have you noticed your clown bringing back food to him?
I would definitely feed every other day, your other tankmates.
What is your lighting cycle?

bad actually, i turn it on at like 5 30, because thats when i get up, but that would mean id have to turn it off at 5, but i get home anywhere from 6 to 8 and i want to watch them s0 mabey i turn it off at like 9 or 10

Been feeding my tank every other day for nine years now. Your lights are on way too much. I keep mine on for 12 hrs a day but any more would be pushing it.

How about going to Wal-Mart or a similar store and getting a $12 timer? It would reduce the stress on you. Get one with a battery back up...kind of like you alarm clock. I shoot for 8 hours, others like 10, other than that, is too much. Think of your tank as an extension of the ocean. In any particular region, there is generally not a 12 hour light cycle....I know, Alaska and propbably anything around that longitude does, at some point in the year, but that is cold water stuff! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom