how do i keep live adult brine shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

projectseahorse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
how can i keep live adult brineshirmp without half of the brine shrimp i purchased dead the next day? does anyone have any effective way to keep brine srhimps alive?

Well, I don't know what you've tried, but if you check my web site on brine shrimp, you may be able to scale it to your own needs.
Number 1 thing to know is that these brine are low in nutrition so they need to be gut loaded for 1 1/2 hrs before feeding them to your fish.
Basically a five gallon pail with a heater and air pump and rigid air line, will keep up to about 10,000 adult brine shrimp.
Feed them just enough to colour the water (so pollution levels are kept as low as possible), using spirulina preferably, or any flake food that can be crushed up fine, placed in a dense piece of cloth to make a "ball".
Pictures and text can be found at:
RAISING BRINE SHRIMP

great site and thanks for the help but one more questions, how about raising baby brine shrimp, i have problem getting to hatch.

First off, you may have a bad batch of cysts. I have tested samples for people many times and found that they wouldn't hatch, or wouldn't hatch any significant quantities. Buy some from other suppliers and try again.
Some suppliers don't even know they've been selling poor quality stock that has been damaged probably before they received the stock.
It's pretty hard not to hatch good cysts. They will hatch in a range of specific gravity, but I like to use 1.030 because the higher range is less likely to permit wipe out's of bad bacteria.
I prefer a temperature of 80F and the water should be in constant turmoil, (do not use airstones, just rigid air line tubing) with a light over the container for 24 hrs a day.

They're all good when first packaged. There are different grades meaning different hatch rates, but probably the worst hatch rate would still be at least 70%.
The storage method, and how long in storage determines the hatching ability when you buy them.
I buy bulk in large quantities from Brine Shrimp Direct, but I believe you can order smaller containers as well. Check out their site.
BRINE SHRIMP DIRECT

Back
Top Bottom