How do I know if I need a larger protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chirp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60g tank w/ a 20gal sump. I think I have a somewhat large bioload.
I'm currently using a Bubble Magus 3.5+ which is rated for up to 80gal.
How do I know if I need a larger protein skimmer? Overall, I'm satisfied with the Bubble Magus. Are there any signs I should be looking for?

I think ultimately it comes down to nitrates levels. So if your nitrates are high and you are not overfeeding then may be its worth upgrading.

I think ultimately it comes down to nitrates levels. So if your nitrates are high and you are not overfeeding then may be its worth upgrading.

asides from the protein skimmer, i also have:
1 filter sock that I usually change once a week,
1gfo reactor
1 bag of chemipure elite
and whole lot of chaeto algae

I usually do 20gal water changes weekly. but I think I frequently overfeed them b/c my kids bring their friends over.

my nitrates are testing zero and no huge issues with micro algae. I do have diatoms that grow on my sand (not cyano).

If you cut down on the feeding ( I know it's tough I went trough it with my daughter too) the diatoms will go away. Other than that I agree if it's not broke don't fix it.

I third that opinion. lol

if you have good water parameters then I would let it be for now. You do have a large bioload but if you can handle it then I think youre just fine. :)

you have a lot of decent sized fish for that small of a tank but if your nitrates are all good then don't worry about it. if you see them start to rise go one size up on the skimmer

Back
Top Bottom