how do i know my corals are getting enough light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokmijn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a few sps and how do i know that they are getting enough light. i have frags of these coral i dont know the name but have pics of the colony. they are all about 7-8 inches from water surface and the lights are about 5-6 inches off the surface. they seem to be doing good but they dont look as good as where i got them from.

lights are dual 175 watts mh 14k w/t5 actinics

Attachments

• coral1.gif
    coral1.gif
    25 KB · Views: 1,533
  • coral2.gif
    coral2.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,526
  • coral3.gif
    coral3.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,534
  • coral4.gif
    coral4.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,513
Without an actual PAR meter it will be subjective. If the corals are healthy, growing, polyps out, etc. I'd say you have enough light. It will be a matter of observation. How long have you had them placed?

If your lights are of a different kelvin rating then the place that you bought them from they will look different. ie: if the place had them under 20k w/no actinics and you now have them under 14k...

will for the first week(7 days) i have them towards the bottom and now i have them on this position for about 4 days their poly extension is not as much as it supposed to be but they still hold their color pretty good.

If your lights are of a different kelvin rating then the place that you bought them from they will look different. ie: if the place had them under 20k w/no actinics and you now have them under 14k...

the place i got it from had it under dual 250 watt mh 14k with no actinics and was about the same distance from the lights.

Give the corals time to adjust to the difference in lighting. I had dual 175w MHs running on a 120g tank for quite a while and had great growth along with excellent color and polyp extension. Give them time to adjust. I believe they will be just fine under your lighting.

ok hearing that from you is always great.

is a rainbow monti a good attraction cause i was gonna get one but dont know anything of it.

this is how it looks like

Attachments

• coral.gif
    coral.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,450
Rainbow, superman, sunset, pokerstar montis tend to be very particular about water quality and flow. I would let your tank mature a little while longer before dropping the $$ for those corals.

Rainbow, superman, sunset, pokerstar montis tend to be very particular about water quality and flow. I would let your tank mature a little while longer before dropping the $$ for those corals.

yeah i was looking around the these monti are lots of money but i have a local reefer here that sells frags for a pretty good price if i go buy it from him directly which is only down the street from my house. **** sell my any frags of sps for 10 and online is only about 20-30 buck per frag he has a site if you want to check it out. his price is good and ive seen his coral in person they are amazing.

coral, zoa, zoanthid, lps, sps, chalice, acan,

I thnk you have enough light for them depending on placement or how deep your tank is. By the colonies you posted I think you have:
Acropora Gomezi
Acropora Millipora
Garf Bonsai Acro

I would really like to find a frag of a Deep Blue Gomezi myself

I thnk you have enough light for them depending on placement or how deep your tank is. By the colonies you posted I think you have:
Acropora Gomezi
Acropora Millipora
Garf Bonsai Acro

I would really like to find a frag of a Deep Blue Gomezi myself

thanks for the id how does the frag your looking for look like. i could see if my friends supplier have it.

you miss the whole point of Ziggy's post. your tank should be a little more mature as far as stable water conditions. It really does not matter about the cost! Cost is just relivent to each person.
What is expensive to you may be cheap to another Person...:nono:

you miss the whole point of Ziggy's post. your tank should be a little more mature as far as stable water conditions. It really does not matter about the cost! Cost is just relivent to each person.
What is expensive to you may be cheap to another Person...:nono:

sorry i wasn't clear but after ziggy said that i've already decided to wait i only posted that because i thought it was a very good price i always listen to people on here.

Back
Top Bottom