How do I remove mushrooms off my polyp rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pecan2phat

Aquarium Advice Freak
There was a time when I would just spend $40 a pop, over and over on mushroom rocks in the attempt to populate my tank with. Finally after 5-6 years, the shrooms are doing so well that they have attached to my LR, glass etc.
What I don't really care for is that they have also attached to my two different types of button polyp rocks. Now the polyps are struggling to get light cause the shrooms that have attached have gotton to be about 3" in diameter.
I don't want to kill the shrooms, is there a way I can get them to detach from the polyp rocks? I tried scraping at their base with a flat screwdiver and that did not work. Any ideas?

I think you can just take a razor and cut them at the stem as close to the rock as possible. Check out www.garf.org it will tell you how to do this the proper way.

A razor blade is the best option. The delema with this is you risk having the base that you left on the rock growing into a new shroom.

Slice Slice

You can try a slim ice cube at the base of the shroom sometimes they will let go its worked before. The last time that I cut a mushroom at the base it grew into two shrooms. You can also try getting the corner of a credit card under it and slowly working the foot off(it works great with anemones but I have never tried this on shrroms) Good luck!

I also have one I'd like to move. Once it's been removed how long will it take to attach to its new location?

thanks
Jim

If you use bridal netting to hold it down, your probably looking at a week to a week and a half for it to really grab onto the rock.

Can't you just use super glue? I know I have some shrooms that appear to be working off their rock. I might need to transplant some ...

I have used super glue gel it only holds for about a week and if the shrooms don't like it they slime their way loose, so I would go with the bridal netting or pantyhose.

And the glue will only work if they arent "sliming" like crazy when you frag them and try to glue them. I have never been able to any softie. Apparently Belinda is a better man than I! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom