Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do I remove mushrooms off my polyp rock?

There was a time when I would just spend $40 a pop, over and over on mushroom rocks in the attempt to populate my tank with. Finally after 5-6 years, the shrooms are doing so well that they have attached to my LR, glass etc.
What I don't really care for is that they have also attached to my two different types of button polyp rocks. Now the polyps are struggling to get light cause the shrooms that have attached have gotton to be about 3" in diameter.
I don't want to kill the shrooms, is there a way I can get them to detach from the polyp rocks? I tried scraping at their base with a flat screwdiver and that did not work. Any ideas?

Old 03-02-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think you can just take a razor and cut them at the stem as close to the rock as possible. Check out www.garf.org it will tell you how to do this the proper way.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
A razor blade is the best option. The delema with this is you risk having the base that you left on the rock growing into a new shroom.

Slice Slice

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can try a slim ice cube at the base of the shroom sometimes they will let go its worked before. The last time that I cut a mushroom at the base it grew into two shrooms. You can also try getting the corner of a credit card under it and slowly working the foot off(it works great with anemones but I have never tried this on shrroms) Good luck!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Belinda, I will try the ice cube thingy before I resort to surgery.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I also have one I'd like to move. Once it's been removed how long will it take to attach to its new location?

thanks
Jim
Old 03-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you use bridal netting to hold it down, your probably looking at a week to a week and a half for it to really grab onto the rock.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Can't you just use super glue? I know I have some shrooms that appear to be working off their rock. I might need to transplant some ...
Old 03-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have used super glue gel it only holds for about a week and if the shrooms don't like it they slime their way loose, so I would go with the bridal netting or pantyhose.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

And the glue will only work if they arent "sliming" like crazy when you frag them and try to glue them. I have never been able to any softie. Apparently Belinda is a better man than I!

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mushrooms, polyp, rock, shrooms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com