How do I remove this leather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had this leather for over a year and it's doing very well. It's well over 15" wide and I'm thinking I'm going to trade it in on one that's a lot smaller. What would be the best way to separate it from the rock it's attached too? Should I try to break the rock it's attached to? Suggestions/Comments?

Thank you!

img_833906_0_9c57287c82861caadff293b36648da52.jpg

I would cut it at the base with a razor blade. I would also frag it into 3 or 4 pieces.

if you are wanting to sell it to the store, i would suggest breaking the rock. Large leathers like that do not really like to re attach very easily.

I have the same problem. My leather coral is near the top of the tank, and is overtaking it.
So just take a razor blade and slice it off as close to the rock as I can get? If I wanted to frag it, how would I do that?

Attachments

• dsc00712_963.jpg
    dsc00712_963.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 31
Fragging is quite easy. You can take a scissor and cut around the crown, then cut that piece into several pieces. Attach each piece to a rock. I used a toothpick going through the frag and then glued to the rock. I now have 8 or 9 small leathers. I fragged mine to save what was left when the base started deteriorating. This was after an overheating incident last year.

I just want to make sure I've got this down. If I cut about where the top of the hippo tang is, I should be ok right? I'll keep the stalk and it will regrow a top again correct? Also, how long will it take for the top portion to heal over (from where I cut it)? As you can see, this coral is getting rather large.

One last question....should I run some gac after I put them back in the tank (along with a pwc)?

img_834500_0_352fcde963e728c5153025f3703a4cc5.jpg

img_834500_1_b9f8d9aa00a16fcdf33f599f75a9af05.jpg

I would cut it a bit higher, then cut the frag into multiple pieces.

I did mine outside of the tank. As mine was disintegrating at the base I got rid of the stalk. The frags all healed over rather quickly, but took a while to start growing.

Back
Top Bottom