Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you're going to bath it in ammonia why not just pull it all out and let it dry out. either way all the bacteria will die so why not do it the cheapest and easiest way

Old 10-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Adding a cup of ammonia is alot easier than emptying the tank, removing the rock, removing the sand and then scrubbing all the aipatasia off the glass and the filter...they really are everywhere....

Old 10-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

donno about that the ammonia would then be all over the rocks and sand and there when the next person has to cycle. either way i see it all of it has to be scrubbed and cleaned before reusing it. and the ammonia is no sure way of coing this as the system has bacteria colonies that break down the ammonia
Old 10-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Adding a cup of ammonia is alot easier than emptying the tank, removing the rock, removing the sand and then scrubbing all the aipatasia off the glass and the filter...they really are everywhere....
I have a feeling you are going to need a **** of a lot more ammonia than a cup for a 55g tank.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking 2-3 gallons of ammonia. At some point, the pH will crash and everything will cease to live since it will become too acidic for even the bacteria that consume the ammonia to live.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
At some point, the pH will crash
Not with ammonia....ammonia is a base, not an acid.

In order to drop the pH you'd have to add vinegar, or another similar acid. Having accidentally done that to a SW tank, I can say it does effectively kill stuff, but creates a godawful mess in the process - and don't even start me on the smell.

I would suggest drying and then boiling or baking the rocks, and ditch the sand. Not sure how the rocks will react to such treatment. LR is surprisingly brittle stuff when dry. Rinse the empty tank out with vinegar and then water.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Right right, ammonia is definitely a base, my bad lol.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

To Nuke a tank why not literally microwave your rock and sand or even bake it surely the apitasia cannot live through 350 degrees
Old 10-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Hmm i don't have a chiller, but would the reverse work? Just raise the heater to like 90 degrees?
That's the problem with living in florida. It's easy here. Turn the heating off in the house and it'll be chilled before u know it
Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I used something called joes juice for mine. Got rid of the little pests pretty well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1954794345.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	57615  

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com