Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How do I Safely Nuke a Tank?

My current 55g sw seetup, that is playing the part of QT tank is about to become empty and ready for sale BUT I have an awful, I mean awful aiptasia problem.

There are probably hundreds of them sprouting from the substrate, some large some small. I don't want to invest in peppermint shrimp and lord knows I can't nuke each one so I was thinking of "nuking" the tank. I was planning on draining most of the water and putting in regular unsalted water. I figured that would kill off anything in there. I will of course remove the snails and hermits that are in there first.

Is there an easier way? Like could I overdose the tank on kalkwasser or something? What about overdosing the tank with ammonia, would that kill off the aiptasia? I don't want to cause any permanent damage to the tank so no copper or anything like that. lol

I also realize the live rock will most likely die as well as the sand but this infestation is really bad and like I said I plan on selling the tank immediately after it's cleaned up.

Any ideas would be appreciated or opinions on the thoughts I have already.

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking that if you put in a ton of ammonia, everything would die (including the beneficial bacteria) and would also be the safest way to do it.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I was just rethinking this and I think that might be the best way to go. I realize it will kill everything, but there will be nothing in the tank in a few days and it should hopefully kill off all the aiptasia. I also will be selling it off as soon as the vermin are gone so I won't be needing it again.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Yep, I was just rethinking this and I think that might be the best way to go. I realize it will kill everything, but there will be nothing in the tank in a few days and it should hopefully kill off all the aiptasia. I also will be selling it off as soon as the vermin are gone so I won't be needing it again.

If you are just selling it, why not just drain it and let them all dry out?

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I tired the rock drying thing before with this tanks rocks, I poured boiling water on them, and let them soak for a few days in straight water then left them out in the florida sun for another 3-4 days. Put the rock back in the tank and bam, more aiptasia. I don't know how they survived but they did. I just want to be able to sell a clean setup tank with no pests to someone.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Have to agree with the above. Dry it out. I have just done the same and it worked great. Albeit on a smaller scale.

Couple of weeks is best though, to make sure. .

What about making the tank very very cold? Chiller?

What are the thoughts on that?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm i don't have a chiller, but would the reverse work? Just raise the heater to like 90 degrees?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I find it ironic that you want to safely nuke a tank... safely and nuke don't belong in the same sentence IMO lol

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know right? LOL Ironic in a way since everyone wants to AVOID a tank nuke.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know hot water doesn't work. I've known some to leave rock outside for a month and they add them back in and the pest is still there!

Calcium Hydroxide works although it has to be directly applied over the aiptasi, and reading that there's hundreds I don't think that's practical lol.
Some have gone as far as lye, if the tank is empty with just aiptasia, why not. Fill it with muriatic acid, although I don't know if it's safe for the tank itself LOL.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com