How do leathers Reproduce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Its the leather in my signature.

Do they branch off eventually and start a new stalk? Was just wondering when I could expect to see another one.

Yes, you will see new stalks like a tree branches out. Growth rate will be dependent on how it likes your water and light.

I see new branches already, was just wondering how it spreads out?????

You can frag a branch off and then glue it to a piece of LR.
I just got a sinularia a month ago and its hugh already.. Mine has one hugh trunk with tons of branches.. i see no sign of it fraggin itself.. A colt will split the main trunk and form a new coral over time. Will the sinulara do the same thing??

Not sure. My colt is 1 foot tall and not started anything yet. The sure way is to frag them

Good freggin luck glueing any leather. They shrink up so much out of the water that it usually ends up snapping off from the base. I have had best luck with fraggin a decent piece and sticking a piece into the sand with a shell right on top of it. It typically ends up attached to the shell, then I can move it where I like..

GL!

Leathers are a pain to get attached. I try to get a Y type branch and the use a rubberband to secure it. It cannot be very tight though.

Recently I have heard using tooth picks works well. Just put the tooth pick in through the base of the coral and then secure the toothpick to the rock. Once the leather attaches to the rock, you can remove the tooth pick.

I have not tried it yet but sounds logical.

As for reproducing, the Sinularia I have just sprouts from the original base and subsequent limbs. I have seen Kenya tree actually drop limbs to propagate itself.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom