How do YOU acclimate corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. I was just wondering what your method was for acclimating corals. I have always done a temp. and slowly add water acclimation method. Is that necessary?

Thank you!:D

No, there is no need to acclimate corals. Don't drip, don't float. Just gently place them in the tank where you want them. I have added 60+ corals in my tank by the above method and never have had a problem. None of my clients float or drip, as there is absolutely no need to.

I think it all comes down to what type of coral youre adding but I would keep doing what you're doing. But one thing for sure I dip all my corals cause I don't to put any pest into my system

stevedpepper said:
No, there is no need to acclimate corals. Don't drip, don't float. Just gently place them in the tank where you want them. I have added 60+ corals in my tank by the above method and never have had a problem. None of my clients float or drip, as there is absolutely no need to.

I've heard of people doing this but I can't bring myself to do it. There's so many variables that the coral needs to overcome with that method like temp, ph, salinity, etc...

I'm amazed that works for ppl.

I turn off the halides and float the bag for 15 then remove 1/2 cup and add 1/2 cup of water every 10-15 min. I do that for 1 hr and never had a death from it.

I don't acclimate to the water other than a float to match temp. I then dip for 20 mins with CoralRX & a powerhead then acclimate to light over a few days/weeks

I've only floated (2) corals, both were in the car for nearly an hour. Other than that, no acclimation ever done with lots of corals. Only had one dead coral that died months after purchase.

I do however acclimate to light intensity. Start low and gradually bring up to proper height in tank.

Now, I could be wrong but my rationale for dripping fish vs not dripping corals is the awareness factor. A fish is aware it's being netted, bagged and put into a new tank. This adds psychological stress to the physical stress of the water differences. By slowly acclimating, we lower the overall stress as much as possible.

Coral lacks this response. Thus the transplanting is not as negative on the animal.

Again, just my justification. No scientific evidence involved.

I think it all comes down to what type of coral youre adding but I would keep doing what you're doing. But one thing for sure I dip all my corals cause I don't to put any pest into my system

This is going to be a stupid question, but you dip them in what?

CoralRX is a typical dip

So, just dip them quickly or let them sit? And then just add them to the tank afterwards? I found a bristleworm on my last coral, so this might be something I'd like to do in the future.

So, just dip them quickly or let them sit? And then just add them to the tank afterwards? I found a bristleworm on my last coral, so this might be something I'd like to do in the future.

You let them sit in there for a while I just follow the instruction on the bottle and it works wonder.

Usually I do 20 min or so with a small powerhead agitating the water. Give it a good final swish to remove any dead things & a quick rinse in a container with tank water & bobs your uncle.

If its a small enough frag I might just swish it on the bag for a few mins rather than using a power head. An acro frag will have fewer hiding spots for hitchhikers. Use your judgement.

the 20 corals that are in my 25 gallon tank have all just been put right in the tank no temp alc or anything. I really see it as unnecessary beings all my corals open up in about 5mins or so of being put in the water and iv never had anything die on me that wasn't due to a fish/invert.

I let mine float for 15-20 min to adjust to the temp only because when have brought all of mine home it has either been snowing or could have. Just didn't want to shock them.

The only corals I acclimate are SPS. I do this by standing them out of water for 10 minutes...... That's all. They then slime up when I put them in the tank and done.

Once heard it compared to when the tide goes out at sea and they are sticking out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom