How do you catch your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have Ich in my tank. How do you catch the fish out of a tank if you have 125lbs of live rock and 16 to 20 pieces and 7 fish in there?

Taking the rock out is out of the question, whaqt do I do?

Throw a hail mary and pray to God that it works (esp if you are cathcing a clown)..... :mrgreen:

You could buy the biggest clear fish transporter, the kind fish stores use to get your fish from the tank to the bag. if your fish are eager to eat like mine, put the transporter in the water, put the food near above the area of the transporter, wait for your fish to eat and scoop.

thats the best way I can thnk of right now.

Edit: a skunk cleaner wouldn't hurt to put in your tank either becuase it would eat up any eggs laying in the substrate and any forms of ich on the fish.

Take a large net and place it in the tank clamp some food to a clip or strap it to a small rock. Something freeze dried usually works best. Now wait and be quick when you see your opportunity.

You now know exactly how Elmer Fudd felt chasing that rascally rabbit.

Edit: a skunk cleaner wouldn't hurt to put in your tank either becuase it would eat up any eggs laying in the substrate and any forms of ich on the fish.

I've got three skunks in there, no help at all

I wouldn't move the rock or whatever just to catch a couple fish,just get a big net and try your hardest to catch it.

Spent two hours and didn't catch one.

Sometimes using two nets, one to herd a fish to the other works. Some times a fish trap works. Sometimes you just gotta get some rubbermaid tubs to put the rock in so you can get the fish out. That's what I had to do in my 125 so I could put the fish in hypo QT and leave the inverts in the tank. I thought I had lost my bi-color blenny during that transition. When I was done putting the rock back in the tank I found him in the rubbermaid tub. He chose to stay in a hole in the rock on the first trip :)

Just be sensible in your methods. Spending an hour trying to catch it is almost as bad as just leaving the ich in the tank. More stress can make the ich even worse.

Go to lowes or HD and get a piece of fiberglass screen (like you use in windows and doors). attach it to small dial rods making a pocket. Set it in your tank and let them get use to it for a hour or so. Then feed and scoop it up. Then you just scoop them out with a regular net. Worked for me in my tank and I tried a lot of different ways.

I chopped the top off a 710mL Ozarka bottle, flipped it over (similar to a minow trap), put food in bottle, submerge bottle. Let the fish swim in - pull bottle out. Captured 4 pesky damsels with this method.

Back
Top Bottom