How do you dose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive been trying to find the right way to dose my cal/alk/mag in my tank.. Im fairly new to reef tanks, ive had fowlr tanks forever, i was doing it daily but i see people dosing with there pwc's, and how do i calculate how much of each thing to put in?

I use b ionic for everything
2 part alk/cal and magneisium

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you need to dose. What are your reading now? Most folks can replenish with simple water changes. Always test to see if you need to dose. Also what salt brand are you using.

If you dont test for something youre dosing dont dose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I have to test for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium thats the basics right? I don't test for things like iodine, strontium, and the other trace elements.. I use reef salt blend called Crystal Sea. My calcium and magnesium were a little low today

How big is the tank and what kind of corals do yiu have?

90 gallons, mushrooms, 1 torch, and 1 brian coral

There is definitely no need to dose with 3 corals. Unless you have a massive amount of coralline? What are your daily alk readings?

I see no need to dose anything either. I always heard to never dose until you have quiet a few of SPS. The corals you have only really need light. Water changes is enough to keep up with the demand of calcium and such.

I was told to keep a level of 400 ppm for calcium. And 1250 ppm for magnesium. My calcium is 350 ppm and magnesium is 1110. My alkalinity is 10 dkh

What salt are you using? With magnesium being so low dosing alk/calcium will do nothing. Your mag needs to be above 1300.

Those levels are fine for only a few corals.

Crystal sea mix

What is your guys favorite reef salt mix?

Well after seeing a thread on nano-reef about that salt it seems it will always mix low. I'd switch to a reef grade salt like reef crystals, kent, Red Sea, etc. either that or learn to add enough calcium/alk/mag to your new salt water

Im right in assuming the corals consume calcium and magnesium?

Stony corals do yes, but you need a lot of them to deplete levels to where dosing is necessary you only have 2. I agree with every one else on it most likely being your salt mix

Just tested my new mixed saltwater for magnesium.. 1050 ppm.. Guess it id pretty low

Just did research.. My lfs sold me bogus salt... Crystal sea mixes very low... Switching to reef crystals

Back
Top Bottom