Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

But!!!! who wouldnt want one of these...???

Old 04-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #22
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Hitch Hiking Copepods, Isopods and Amphipods

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier_6708 View Post
But!!!! who wouldnt want one of these...???

hahaha.. I love it..

If they aren't attaching themselves to your little finned friends, just catch them when you can if you want to (this means they are carrion or algae eating, not parasitic)
Old 04-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

That poor guy should have had a sixline!
Old 04-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Karegg
Holy crap, that thing looks like it could eat a cat.

I found this on aquahobby.com and can't figure out if it's BS or not:

"I have had a six line wrasse for about seven months now and just last week I saw him do something truly amazing. I bought a fairly large Yellow Tang to add color to by 280 liter tank about a month ago and he was not doing very well. After a couple of weeks, Ich started spreading on him and he would not eat. I've never seen a fish recover from Ich so I considered it to be just a matter of time before the Tang would succumb to the parasites. I glanced at the tank one evening and it looked like the six line wrasse was picking on the Tang. I went over to the tank and after looking closer I saw that the wrasse was eating the white Ich off of the Tang! He would pick it off of the Tang's body and the Tang would hold still for the wrasse (either he knew that the wrasse was saving him or it just felt good kinda like scratching). Anyway the Tang would hold one fin still while the wrasse picked off the parasites and then he would expand his top fin so the wrasse could get in between his fins. The two continued this activity for several days. It was truly amazing. As of now the Tang has started eating again and does not look to have any Ich at all on him. He still looks to have lost some of his color but I'm hoping that it will come back soon. Without the six-line wrasse, the Yellow Tang would probably be dead by now."
Old 04-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
There are a lot of wrasse that do this (the most noted is the cleaner wrasse). Some fish come to expect it from the wrasse family, I see my angel swim up to a canary wrasse and lie on it's side holding it's fin up.. occasionally the wrasse will help out (not ich, sometimes just general irritants).. There are more suited fish to this task, however some fish like the cleaner wrasse, can't survive without this food source and are known to be reluctant to change, and should not be purchased.

They will pick at ich, but they aren't known to "cure it" and they themselves are susceptible to ich.. not good practice.

There are also gobies noted for this such as the neon goby that are also cleaner fish.

And as for the one in the picture.. there are bigger ones out there, and in some countries, they are food. reverse the picture..
Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Paty
Haha! Crazy pics, and very informative.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to blindskate
u know those potato bugs?...that roll in a ball? (i called em "rolly pollys" when i was little)...they look like that hahaha
Old 04-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to blindskate
...that pic up top looks crazy...apparently these things are huge in the ocean...ewww
Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never heard of a Potato Bug being called a Rolie Polie. I always called Rolie Polies Pillbugs, but Potato bugs are giant ugly things, also called Mole Crickets, or in spanish, "Ninos de la tierra" (children of the dirt).

Sorry, I know this really has nothing to do with aquaria, but the topic cought my attention...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com