How do you get rid of hair algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JVS__RAMBO

Aquarium Advice Regular
I do 2-five gallon water changes every week and have a small cleanup crew cause just cycled tank. But still have a lot of hair algae. My nitrates are between 5 and 10.

If you just finished cycling, there might be extra nutrients in the tank fueling the hair algae. As your tank matures the levels should settle down. The best procedure with hair algae is trying to reduce nutrients as much as possible - feeding less, rinsing frozen foods, water changes, etc - and pulling it out manually. Your nitrates are not very high so that shouldn't be the problem. How big is your tank?

Def use water purified through reverse osmosis. If your using conditioned tap water, your probably introducing phophsates that will fuel hair algae. Also reduce your light time while battling. I went with a two day blackout per week and changed 45 gallons of water in three weeks to reduce phoshpates. Helped a ton! Good luck!

your tank is much bigger then mine (45 gal) but i had hair algae and the fish store recommended sailfin mollies. i bought 2 and they took care of all the algae in about 2 weeks. that was a few months ago and no more algae since then. i don't know if you are fresh or salt but the mollies are fresh or brackish. not sure if they can go in saltwater tank.

your tank is much bigger then mine (45 gal) but i had hair algae and the fish store recommended sailfin mollies. i bought 2 and they took care of all the algae in about 2 weeks. that was a few months ago and no more algae since then. i don't know if you are fresh or salt but the mollies are fresh or brackish. not sure if they can go in saltwater tank.
mollys are fine in all 3 as long as they are acclimated slowly

good to know because they really worked for me. i got the dalmation (sp) and they are very pretty. when they show their fin it is so neat. it sticks up at least an inch and a half. beautiful!

Thanks for the help. I think its coming from the light from my sliding door, even though its a good 6 or 7 feet at an angle away I think that is whats causing it. I have to cover it when I can afford some blinds or something spent to much money on the tank. HHHHMMMM Saltwater tank or blinds, I think I made the right choice. I bought a lawnmower blenny to help me out. I'll get it under control.

I figured out I had the same problem at one point. I taped regualr aluminum foil over the end of the tank that was facing the window until I could get a curtain up that restricts light..I sewed a drapery liner (light blocking) to the back of a curtain that matched the rest of the windows in the room. The tank will still get light with the foil but between it and dropping the photoperiod down, I was able to get the HA under control..that and some very industrious scarlet leg hermits.

If your nitrates are between 5-10, it really is probably a lot higher. Your hair algae is consuming a high level or nitrates and phosphates to keep growing, that's why your tests are testing low. Getting a critter to take care of the algae may be fun to watch, but won't be effective. As the hair algae grows and consumes nitrates, phosphates and other nutrients, those things don't leave the tank, but they are locked up in the algae. When a critter eats the algae, those nitrates, phosphates and nutrients are released back into the tank. That's why people with refugiums and macro algae always thin it out and throw it away. Macro algae needs to grow to pull bad things from the water. Same with hair algae. You can do all the normal things like feed less etc, water changes, but the only guaranteed way I've come by to remove it quick and for good is bio plastic pellets. Like by two little fishes brand. Do a search to find out more about npx bioplastics. They are pure carbon and very effective in culturing bacteria which consumes nitrates and phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom