How do you go on Vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gefilte

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to be out of town for five days and am wondering how to handle my tank situation. I really don't have anyone that I trust to do anything...so what do I do? How can you feed frozen food with a feeder? I add Tech CB every day...how am I going to do that from 500 miles away??

gefilte said:
I am going to be out of town for five days and am wondering how to handle my tank situation. I really don't have anyone that I trust to do anything...so what do I do? How can you feed frozen food with a feeder? I add Tech CB every day...how am I going to do that from 500 miles away??

Not to scare you! But tanks always seem to have a habit of going south while your gone.

I lost my 240g tank to a crash while on vacation a few years ago because of a faulty piece of equipment and I have read in forums where others have had such misfortunes. Have spent several thousand dollars on my collection in my tanks its just worth the money to me to seek out a tank sitter to stop by daily and do the daily husbandry for me. Im going on my honeymoon in a few weeks here and have hired a close friend to do just that... I even taught him a little on the hobby so he knows what to do with my RO unit and topoffs..

Just my .02

BTW.. Have a nice vacation!!

What is your tank, what is in your tank?

For example some fish can go for 2 weeks or so with no care at all since realisitcally there isn't always food around in the wild.

RogerMcAllen said:
What is your tank, what is in your tank?

For example some fish can go for 2 weeks or so with no care at all since realisitcally there isn't always food around in the wild.

heh..never thought to ask that.. Maybe all he has is a couple of damsels.. 8O

I had my sister in law house sit. Feeding was only a secondary issue for me. I lose a gal of water a day and currently don't have an auto top off so I had to have someone add water to the tank.

I would think your dosing could be held off for a week and maybe just feed some flake/pellets for a week in an auto feeder to get by.

Might be a good idea to have someone at least check for plumbing issues. If it is going to break, it will do it while your are gone. At least for me it would :(

Good luck.

I had this very problem last week. Check the internet for a local club. Join... Mine prints a member list and I have been getting to know someone in my area that can come over and via/vera..... Others not in the hobby would have no idea something was wrong or what to do about it... imo..

I'm going for 2 weeks in July and having a neighbor come over every day to feed, do water top offs and empty the skimmer. If there is a problem (plumbing, etc) I am leaving the phone # to the LFS. If something major happens, he will come and take care of it.
Also, you may want to pre measure your food in dixie cups so there is no overfeeding.

Great ideas.....actually, I have no fish right now as a result of my homocidal yellow tang you may have read previously about...but I'll probably have a pair of clowns in there when I first go away....I do have some snails and crabs and will probably have a fish in my QT . Its just that I have a few days each month for the next few months that I'll be out of town and I wasn't sure I really wanted to wait 4 months before I got any new fish....

how do you loose 1 gal / day? I top up a quart a day in the winter, when the heat in the house is full blast, but much less in the winter

how do you loose 1 gal / day? I top up a quart a day in the winter, when the heat in the house is full blast, but much less in the winter

I replace 3 gallons a day right now, it will go up as the weather warms. Things that contribute to the loss are hot lights, 2 fans blowing across the top, nice surface water movement and a tank with a large footprint.

Back
Top Bottom