How do you guys deal with LS problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just wipe out my tank this weekend by stirring up the sand. After doing this 5 of 7 fish were dead in 24hrs. How can I not have this happen again. I know, don't stir up the sand. But what else can be done? thanks for any help

Why did you stir it? If you need to stir the sand, try just stirring the uppermost layer of it (first 1/4-1/2"). Stirring up the deeper part can release nasties into your water column.
This my not been what killed them even. How long were they in the system? Seem healthy otherwise, all were eating?

Keep enough critters, ie snail, worms, etc to keep the sand bed stirred up. I like nassarius snais which do a pretty good job keeping the sand clean. They burrow down in the sand.

I removed my sand bed and re-used it after a year of use. Worked fine.

I stirred it up because it didn't know any better and thought it would help to keep the tank clean. dumb move on my prt. The fish were all healty and in there for at least 6mths and some for ten. Put it this way. I started the tank 10mnths ago and never had a fish die. Any idea on whn this nasty stuff will be removed from the tank. I still have a Picasso trigger and snowflake eel left. Crossing my fingers.

thanks for the help

I agree with using sand sifters to keep the sand mixed, so if it does get 'violently' stirred up (on purpose, or due to a power head falling) it won't cause problems.

Every couple months I have a power head lose suction and fall, and it blows sand everywhere before I wake up/get home from work to find it. I haven't lost a fish in...8 months I believe.

how deep is your sand bed? was it a DSB?

that probably shouldn't have happened.

Thanks, I'll definitly read it. Someone on another site sadi to "maybe you should try to put prime and cycle" any idea what this means?

thanks
Ron

Back
Top Bottom