how do you keep your LR clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
It seems that no matter how often I blast my LR with a PH / turkey baster, or how much junk I suck up with an airline tube, it takes no time at all (like 1 day) and my LR is covered in that white, dusty looking waste junk again.

How clean do I need to keep my LR? Maybe it's not as bad as I think it is? I feel like it needs daily attention.

Thanks.

swissfish said:
have lots of flow in your tank

I intended to mention this in my initial post -- I have lots of flow can't remember the exact GPH off the top of my head but I could calculate it again -- my featherdusters & polyps sway like a tree in a stiff breeze -- I thought it would be too much for them but they don't seem to mind... do I need PHs blasting directly on every rock surface 24/7? Seems like a lot, but maybe that's what it takes...?

i have 1600 gph in my 80g tank. I have a closed loop system with 4 hydor flow attachements and two open outlets. they hydors rotade 360 deg and clean most of the debris from my LR

gooyferret said:
What do you have for a cleanup crew in there? for ex: hermits, snails, crabs, shrimp, etc....

This is an interesting point -- my cleanup crew has been decreasing in size recently (I suspect mantis). I didn't think, however, than they would help with this type of problem -- will replenishing my snail/hermit population help keep the LR free of this dusty-type waste?

I hadn't intended to add additional hermits & snails until the mantis was located & removed (this has proved very difficult).

Yes snails and hermits will do a awesome job of removing excess waste and help keep your LR clean. Especially Hermits. They clean the LR all day and night in my tank and dont ever have waist.

gooyferret said:
swissfish how did you setup the closedloop? do you have any pics of it?

no pics yet might go and look for the camera later on.
I basicly just put a T into the returnline and looped the hose arount the tank. I then put t's in the hose where i thought it would be apropriate.

hope that helps

I have never actually baster-blasted my LR. Flow, crabs and snails seem to do the trick for me.

just so you know....i had alot of that and that is signs of die off....if your cycling...jsut let it do its job. if not....do water changes and get some flow on there but that wont keep it off.

is this new LR....cured or uncured? fresh harvest LR?

This sounds more like CA precipitation than a detritus problem.
Are you dosing CA at all? If so, how much?

seaham358 said:
how long has the tank been set up. Where is the dust coming from? Is your flow too much and blowing sand around?

Tank is up and running about 5 months. It is not sand from the sandbed.

pearsont74 said:
just so you know....i had alot of that and that is signs of die off....if your cycling...jsut let it do its job. if not....do water changes and get some flow on there but that wont keep it off.

is this new LR....cured or uncured? fresh harvest LR?

My cycle is long over. If it's die off, it's not reflected in my water parameters, which are excellent (ammo, ite = 0; ate < 10).

The live rock has been in my tank for months.

could be particle of rock.. there are lots of worms and whatever else in there burrowing away..I have this on my rock as well. don't think it's a problem

Back
Top Bottom