How do you know if your DSB is working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you have to clean it? Can it get "dead" spots in it, I mean places where wastes can get trapped?

I'm not sure if mine is doing it's job. My water quality is ok. Just curious if my sand is good. I have worm trails and algae groing around it but can't really see any creatures on it and the hermit crabs are still alive and well?

Have you looked at it an hour or so after the lights are out? Minie is robust with life...Also, your rocks should almost look like they could walk away with all of the pods and stuff on them... I was amazed at how much goes on ofter lights out...

i've heard something about bubbles on the glass as well. anybody have anything to say about this?

Yes a functional DSB should be producing nitrogen bubbles, which you should see in the sandbed through the glass. If your seeing worm trails, I'm sure your DSB is working correctly. That is the most important part of a DSB, the critters moving through the sand. As for dead areas....well yeah, they will develop especially under the rocks, unless you place the rock on the glass bottom and then filled the sand in around it. However there is little to be concerned about.
Check out this link for more info...
http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

Does anyone know of where I can get some good live sand to help seed my dsb a littlebit better. I want to give it a little boost. I do not know of anyone around me who is using sand? I tried that candystand place, but it just seems to difficult to order. Looking for somwhere with no hassles.

thanks

Well you can get garf grunge from garf.org or you can look into detrivore kits from inlandaquatics.com I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.

I have noticed all these things on my SSB. It is 1 1/2-2" deep. Is it possible for this sand to be alive being that shallow?

Absolutely, in fact, there are some write ups about this out there on this vast web. I will try to get some of the links for you.

I am seriously thinking about doing another tank with no sand at all. according to the experts, with enough LR, no sand is needed providing you have the right size protien skimmer.

Well so far I have been happy with my ssb. I have had dsbs and they worked good too. I just dont like the look of barebottom tanks. It doesnt look natural to me. But hey, to each their own! :mrgreen:

I bought a kit from an individual, the stuff was great. We got live sand, macroalgae, assorted mysid shrimp, pods, spaghetti worms..lots more I am
forgetting to mention. His email is: rknochel@5starinternet.com
There was some garbage being said about him on reefcentral that just is NOT true. I know tons of people that have bought from ron and were thrilled. Some guy just
got hacked because Ron posted a bad review about some corals he received from him...... I can honestly say that I priced stuff for several weeks trying to decide what to get for my fuge and nobody came close to this deal. He will sell just live sand starter if you do not want the complete kit. Send him a mail and tell him I sent you his way...

Back
Top Bottom