How do you plug it all in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an ordinary set up, with one outlet in which I placed a surge protector. I need one outlet for my pump, my skimmer, my chiller, two for my fans, two for my halides, and one for my actinics. I am out of outlet room but would like to eventually add moon light. How do you all do it? I do not want to overload the circuit! :idea: :idea:

add up your amps that you will be drawing, and see what else happens to be on that circuit by turning the circuit breaker off. If you don't have too much other stuff on the circuit you should have enough room for all your gear. If worst comes to worst, install a dedicated circuit. Get a GFCI definetely for your outlet either way. If you can't find an amp rating, it should have the total wattage on each piece of equipment. Take the total wattage and divide it by 120 (volts). Amps x Volts = Watts, therefore, Watts/Volts = Amps. Add them up and see how close you are to 15 amps. HTH

Ryan

Yes Roblikesfish is right... you can just get more power strips and plug it all in. Just hope you don't ever have a voltage leak into your tank and get zapped when you stick your hand into your tank. And... if you ever blow a breaker from too much plugged in, hopefully you'll be around to catch it and reset the breaker before everything dies.

On that note, you can get a GCFI that'll plug into a wall right? Or do you have to rewire the plug in the wall? That's a definte for this tank. And my other question, is it best to mount the powerstrips on the underside of the inside of the cabinet or on the inside walls of the cabinet. I do know about drip lines etc... Since I"ve got the time and the cash (stand is being built for free) I want the whole schbang to look neat.

thanks
e

you can get plug-in GFCI's so you avoid the wiring hassle, yes. I'd put the powerbar on the inside side of the stand w/ a drip loop....you'll be fine there.

Back
Top Bottom