How do you prevent a syphon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimaT

Aquarium Advice Activist
My auto top off system will only fit a bit higher than the sump and if i just plumb it like that, once the pump is shut off gravity will create a syphon. so is there something i can do?

any suggestions will be great. thank you!

My old system had the same problem I plumbed the the ATO into a HOB filter box that then dumped into the sump. I did need to raise the filter box up so it sat even with the ATO res.

Route the hose so that it peaks above the water line of both the sump and ATO reservoir. Make sure the end of the hose does not go under the water in the sump.

I ran a piece of 1/2 PVC about a quarter inch off the bottom of my sump. The PVC is taller than my top off container. I then use narrow tubing from my ato pump to just inside the PVC. It is about two inches into the PVC.

The water runs down the PVC, but since the pump tubing is narrower it doesn't seal - no siphon

drill a hole in the tubing or pipe and superglue a check valve in it but put it so that the water can't go out but when you get a siphon that pulls it'll open and pull in air and break the siphon

drill a hole in the tubing or pipe and superglue a check valve in it but put it so that the water can't go out but when you get a siphon that pulls it'll open and pull in air and break the siphon

I don't think a check valve will work in this case because the siphon flow and the pump flow would be the same direction.

I don't think a check valve will work in this case because the siphon flow and the pump flow would be the same direction.
sure it would it'll send air into the line which will block out the syphon whichever way it is. one the water stops pushing and starts pulling the valve will open sending air in. its easier to pull air then water

you could also just raise the sump slightly higher then the ATO tank and keep the hose or pipe out of the water so the water just falls back and sucks air

Last edited:
Wow. A ton of suggestions and we don't even know the specific set up...

Assuming its a gravity fed ato with 1 hose leading to the sump I can see where your problem lies. A successful ato system needs two hoses. 1 in the bottom of the resivoir to feed water into the sump and another hose coming out of the top of the container. Keep the top hose where you want your fill line to be and the water line closer to the bottom.

When the water level drops below the top hose it allows air to flow through letting the water flow into the sump until the water level reaches the top tube.

The bucket has to be air tight for this to work.

sure it would it'll send air into the line which will block out the syphon whichever way it is. one the water stops pushing and starts pulling the valve will open sending air in. its easier to pull air then water

Sorry - I had a gate or ball check valve in my mind. I have never used an air one.

you could also just raise the sump slightly higher then the ATO tank and keep the hose or pipe out of the water so the water just falls back and sucks air

This is the same thing I accomplish with my small piece of PVC. I just didn't have the room to raise the sump any.

Wow. A ton of suggestions and we don't even know the specific set up...

Assuming its a gravity fed ato with 1 hose leading to the sump I can see where your problem lies. A successful ato system needs two hoses. 1 in the bottom of the resivoir to feed water into the sump and another hose coming out of the top of the container. Keep the top hose where you want your fill line to be and the water line closer to the bottom.

When the water level drops below the top hose it allows air to flow through letting the water flow into the sump until the water level reaches the top tube.

The bucket has to be air tight for this to work.

Yikes! Gravity fed ATO. That's playing with fire... I mean water... Well, you know.
Upgrade to a proper ATO. :p ;)

Also, not trying to nitpick here but, what you describe holds a very good chance of fouling your ATO water with a reverse syphon if great care is not taken. Maybe I am envisioning it incorrectly?

thank you guys for trying to help.
(forget about top offs and everything that might confuse you)
i was thinking of using 1/2" pvc and like chenzo9999 having it go into a 3/4" pvc to let air in and stop the syphon. will that be messy? and most important will it work 100times out of 100?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 59
oops... here it is

Attachments

• 111.png
    111.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 58
Keep the outlet end of the ATO tube above the water level in the reservoir and it will work fine.

Yikes! Gravity fed ATO. That's playing with fire... I mean water... Well, you know.
Upgrade to a proper ATO. :p ;)

Also, not trying to nitpick here but, what you describe holds a very good chance of fouling your ATO water with a reverse syphon if great care is not taken. Maybe I am envisioning it incorrectly?

Actually, from what I understand of the mechanics of it it's a pretty sound concept. I don't run it personally but I don't see any real chance for there to be a back siphon into the supply. It's hard to explain without pictures. I'll draw a pic of what I mean when I get a chance.

The siphon is pulling water into the ATO from the refugium correct?

If that's the case then this is the way to solve it.

AntiSiphonHole.jpg

Keep the outlet end of the ATO tube above the water level in the reservoir and it will work fine.

this. if the level of the outlet is below the waterlevel in the ATO tank then the water will fall and keep sucking the water out, if the level is higher you shouldn't have any real issues with pressures pulling down on the outlet side

Simple solution which a few people of posted, take the hose out of the water. Water stops, siphon breaks. No need for special equipment.

Back
Top Bottom