Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How do you prevent a syphon?

My auto top off system will only fit a bit higher than the sump and if i just plumb it like that, once the pump is shut off gravity will create a syphon. so is there something i can do?

any suggestions will be great. thank you!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How does your ato work?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My old system had the same problem I plumbed the the ATO into a HOB filter box that then dumped into the sump. I did need to raise the filter box up so it sat even with the ATO res.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Route the hose so that it peaks above the water line of both the sump and ATO reservoir. Make sure the end of the hose does not go under the water in the sump.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I ran a piece of 1/2 PVC about a quarter inch off the bottom of my sump. The PVC is taller than my top off container. I then use narrow tubing from my ato pump to just inside the PVC. It is about two inches into the PVC.

The water runs down the PVC, but since the pump tubing is narrower it doesn't seal - no siphon
Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

drill a hole in the tubing or pipe and superglue a check valve in it but put it so that the water can't go out but when you get a siphon that pulls it'll open and pull in air and break the siphon
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
drill a hole in the tubing or pipe and superglue a check valve in it but put it so that the water can't go out but when you get a siphon that pulls it'll open and pull in air and break the siphon
I don't think a check valve will work in this case because the siphon flow and the pump flow would be the same direction.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenzo9999 View Post
I don't think a check valve will work in this case because the siphon flow and the pump flow would be the same direction.
sure it would it'll send air into the line which will block out the syphon whichever way it is. one the water stops pushing and starts pulling the valve will open sending air in. its easier to pull air then water

you could also just raise the sump slightly higher then the ATO tank and keep the hose or pipe out of the water so the water just falls back and sucks air
Old 08-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow. A ton of suggestions and we don't even know the specific set up...

Assuming its a gravity fed ato with 1 hose leading to the sump I can see where your problem lies. A successful ato system needs two hoses. 1 in the bottom of the resivoir to feed water into the sump and another hose coming out of the top of the container. Keep the top hose where you want your fill line to be and the water line closer to the bottom.

When the water level drops below the top hose it allows air to flow through letting the water flow into the sump until the water level reaches the top tube.

The bucket has to be air tight for this to work.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
sure it would it'll send air into the line which will block out the syphon whichever way it is. one the water stops pushing and starts pulling the valve will open sending air in. its easier to pull air then water
Sorry - I had a gate or ball check valve in my mind. I have never used an air one.

Quote:
you could also just raise the sump slightly higher then the ATO tank and keep the hose or pipe out of the water so the water just falls back and sucks air
This is the same thing I accomplish with my small piece of PVC. I just didn't have the room to raise the sump any.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com