Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2002, 03:53 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Prolly about 10lbs should do.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 04:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am going to HD right after work and taking all this advice and changing my susbstrate tonight. I thank everbody for the information and prompt help. This is a great website! I will update you with my results!

Thanks again

Old 12-17-2002, 07:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've removed all my CC and UGF added the sand. I ran my filters for 45 mins and yet my water is cloudy you can't see in. It looks like sand water. I also have been removing clumps of foam too. I have shut my filters off and waiting to see if it will settle.

Any suggestions.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:58 AM   #24

Southdown sand

Hey Kevin,

I just emailed Home depot and they sent me an email with the SKU of the product...They said go to my local home depot and have the garden section get it for me...Very helpful

Thank you for contacting homedepot.com!

We researched your YardRight/SouthDown Tropical Play Sand and discovered that presently your local Home Depot store in Jacksonville, FL doesn't carry your Tropical Play Sand in stock. We did however, find a current Sku#:578-819 which is being used in the New Jersey area.

We suggest you contact your local Home Depot store and speak with an associate in the Garden Department and see if they would transfer in from the Watchung, NJ Home Depot Store YardRight/SouthDown Tropical Play Sand.( If they transfer there is no shipping fee).
For your convenience, we are providing you with the necessary information to contact both Home Depot stores:

Use your local Home Depot Store

and see if they will transfer from:

Watchung Home Depot Store #906
1515 Route 22
Watchung, NJ 07069
(908)222-7700
If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

homedepot.com
Old 12-18-2002, 01:08 AM   #25

Settle

Skip,

This is somewhat normal, it does help to wash it in a five gallon bucket first however, I only did this to the new tank, the tank in the pictures I posted, I just took out the shell bottom and added the sand...I didn't have the option to use southdown tropical sand so I used just play sand... It took about 6 to 7 hours for it to clear up...It will, I would turn on a filter though, the sand settles and the dust is what is clouding the water. It will settle, however, much slower than if you run some type of filter...If you are using an aqua clear, just use the sponge and let it run...it will clear up in a few hours...Patience is the key...you just made a major change...

Where are your fish???
Old 12-18-2002, 09:50 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

My fish are in a cooler. I have 2 power filters running. I'm not impatient at this point just concerned.

It has been 12 hours and yet no results. My fish seem to be fine right now.

I got my southdown in the garden dept. for $5 a bag. Although since it is could here the stuff was fozen. I found it odd but the clerk told me that lots of people have been buying it up around here. I talked to all the LFS and yet not one mentioned this sand. They must all found out online. Just interesting.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:05 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
sand

The LFS would rather sell you their sand @ $20 a bag. For them to recommend HD sand would be kinda like the Nissan dealer telling you to buy a Toyota . Sounds like you're on the right track here though...the sand will settle soon and you'll have a much better setup with it.
Logan J
Old 12-18-2002, 11:12 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

I used Southdown sand and it took several days for the cloud to settle. I was not mechanically filtering just recircing with my sump. It will clear but everything in your tank will be coated with sand dust when it does. The sand will continue to create a dust cloud as you move things around until the critters build up and the top layer of sand becomes more stable.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:02 PM   #29

Sand

Hey guys, I am sure someone has done this before but I thought I would share my new found method of cleaning that powder out of the sand....

I filled a 5 gal bucket with about 30lbs of sand. (did this outside in the yard actually) and took the hose with the spray nozzle on full and sprayed toward the bottom of the bucket, I saw all of this dust start flowing over the sides and the sand going back down...I did this until the water was somewhat clear and then added it to my tank...I could see my rocks and evrything when I filled the tank up with water...I probably saved 12 hours of filtering....

I hope this helps someone...
Old 12-18-2002, 11:13 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've also heard people speak against washing the sand. So should I wash or not?
Seems to me I should.

VT

Tags
bug, dsb, ugf

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com