How do you replace a UGF+CC with a DSB (Sorry to keep buging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have in my tank now a sebae clown, domino damsel condy and sebae anemone. Whats the best way to replace my UGF and CC with a DSB. can I do half of my tank at a time and then move everything to the other half and do it. Do I have to have live sand when I do this or can it wait a week or so. Right now my water is still cycling and I noticed my levels are coming down but very, very slowly and I have this ich problem to.

How about using my CC without my UGF? IS that better?

I would like to do this DSB but when is a good time. Do I have to get every peice of CC out. and is 3" enough of sand. Do you rinse this Southdown sand from Home Depot.

If you buy live sand does it have to be cured?
How about if you buy it online?
How do you keep sand clean of waste?

All help is much appreciated.

Step by step instructions on converting a UGF to a DSB by Kcolagio

Check that out for the how to.

You should attempt to get as much cc out as possible, but a few stray pieces won't harm anything. Do not rinse the sand this will give a diversity of grain sizes right down to silt. Most LS will already be cured, and is sent in water so it should need no further curing and can be added directly to the tank. The sandbed is selfcleaning, provided you have the critters in the sand that make the dsb functional.

The cc would rise to the top of the sand, and the critters would have a difficult time adjusting to the large grain size. There are some that would do fine, but the diversity of fauna would be low as well as the population and the DSB would fail, mostlikely.

Sorry, I meant if I just removed the UGF and left the CC. If I post some pictures here later this evening would the be helpful?

skip_16157 said:
Sorry, I meant if I just removed the UGF and left the CC. If I post some pictures here later this evening would the be helpful?

Provided you kept up with maintenane (vacuuming), it would be a large grained substrate capable of nitrification and would cover the bottom of the tank. It would cause no harm, but is infinitly less efficient than a DSB.

So should I buy this Southdown play sand from Home Depot. I have a PH that 200 GPH and one that is 125 GPH in my tank now. Is that enough.
Do I have to get Live sand. This article you sent me doesn't mention it. If I do how soon do I have to get it. Also since my tank is new do I have to do that 1/2 every day method. Can I just put it all in.

Thanks you

Yes, but the southdown from Home Depot if it is available in your area.

Depending on the size of your tank, the ph might be enough they might not. You want to shoot for ten X turnover.

You do not have to have live sand, you can get detrivore kits on line (they are pricey) or just a few cups of sand from an established dsb, possibly from a reefer in your area. If possible get some from diffewrent tanks to increase diversity in your sand bed.

Since your tank is new, yes you can probably pull it all out and put the sand in, but if you have noticed pods or worms in the sand bed, I would follow the article.

Just noticed from your first post in this thread, you should shoot for 4" min on your sand bed.

Will my whisper power filter 5 be big enough. I have never had a tank and not used a UGF. just want to do this right. Right now my PH's move my water almost completely to both sides of the tank length wise.

How big of a tank is this and how much live rock do you have in the tank?

The reason I ask is that it would be much easier to remove the rocks, inverts and fish to another container while you do this. A large plastic cooler with a lid will work well. All you do is put some tank water in there, then the rocks and the inverts, fish and a powerhead. A heater too if your house gets cold, otherwise a submerged powerhead should keep the water warm. Put the lid on but not tightly, just so the fish won't spook and jump out. Then go ahead and change things around. It will take from several hours to a day or so for the sand to settle. You can add a powerhead to the tank to help this, and run your filter too. If you run your filter you will have to clean it once the sand is all settled though. Then just put your rocks back in, inverts and fish.

Since you are still cycling this tank, there is a very good chance that this will delay your cycling process, but really, even if you wait for your tank to finish, you will most likely start a small one again anyway so it's your choice.
It would be good to have the live sand right from the start, add it when you are done adding the playsand, but don't forget to try and pull out any critters from your cc too.

If you plan on waiting awhile and you are still using the UG, I will suggest that you use some airline tubing to clean underneath the UG with. All you have to do is stop your air pumps, submerge a long piece of airline tubing completely underwater, then holding your finger over one end, bring that out of the water and into a bucket. Take the other end and put it down the uplift tube. Release your finger over the end and the water should start to flow. By manuvering the tubing around underneath the UG, you can get "some" of the gunk out. This isn't a cure all but it will help temporarily until you can do the switch. This next is just my opinion, but to me using just cc is just as bad as the UG. Both trap lots of gunk and both are hard to keep clean as it's up to the aquarist to do so, there aren't many critters that will sift through cc like there are for sand. I'm not saying you won't have any critters just that the amount won't be the same. Hope this makes sense....

My tank is a 55 and has only a couple of Lbs. in it.

My local Home Depot has Southdown tropical caribean play sand. Is this the stuff that I want?

Yup, that's the stuff. You'll need enough to make at least 3" of sandbed.

I don't envy you on doing this, but it will be nice when it's done! Good luck!!

yes that is what you want, your lucky it is not available here in the southeast. I think with your whisper, you will be fine with the ph you have. When you get 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon, you can take the cart out of the whisper and just use it for circulation.

Will my fish be fine in a bucket for a few hours while I do this change. Also I have a feeling the water is going to be cloudy and have particles through it. Will this hurt my fish when I put them back in?

This stuuf is only $5 for 50 lbs. Thats $100 I wasted on CC. Why didn't I find this board of experts before I did this?

Ohh Well, you live and learn

Thanks Again!

This stuuf is only $5 for 50 lbs. Thats $100 I wasted on CC. Why didn't I find this board of experts before I did this?

LOL, we've all been there before, take heart, you've found us now, I didn't get involved in the internet, until I'd been in the hobby for 10yrs. Think how much money I wasted.

If you put an air pump in the bucket they'll be fine for a couple of hours. The silt shouldn't affect anything, they are semi used to it, from storms in the ocean.

How many Lbs. of LS should I buy? I have a 55 gal. I am going to get 100 lbs of that sand. That should get me 4".

How many lbs. of LS should I buy. I am going to put 100lbs of sand in. That should get me 4". I have a 55 gal. tank.

Back
Top Bottom