Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Ziplocks for me too. Just make sure you protect it from bumping aghianst something in the car and springing a leak.

My LFS gives 40% back.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank is 2 months old.

No the store is not Absolutely Fish (I LOVE that store but it is 1.5 hours from my house). It is Tropaquarium in Eatontown.

We have been trying to catch this thing for 2 hours. I don't think there IS anything more frustrating! First my husband stood perfectly still with the net in the water and thought it might just come out of it's cave in the rockwork by itself. He really stood there for a long time. Now we just made a trap out of a water bottle. If he doesn't get in that soon we are removing liverock in 1 hour. Re-aquascaping anyone?

DJ

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
Did you rince your sand before you put it in the tank? The reason I ask, when i first got my goby my tank was 5 weeks old. I did a real sloppy job rinsing the sand so there was still a lot of "dust" in it. Every time anything stirred up the sand you couldn't see for a couple days. Now my tank is 3 months old and I don't have the problem any more. Although my goby likes to tunnel and make mounds of sand, he's awesome to watch, and doesn't stir up all the dust he used to. The filters ate it all!
Old 02-20-2005, 04:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ximat
We didn't rinse our sand at all (Tropical Playsand) because we established the tank in December and it was much too cold out to do that outdoors and we couldn't figure out how to do it indoorts. To be honest, we thought that was a "nice to do", not must do. I guess we were wrong.
OK, you are our first glimmer of hope here that this might not be forever. If we keep him do you think that this dust problem will eventually go away? How long do you think?

DJ
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
Old 02-20-2005, 05:05 PM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmpj2
To be honest, we thought that was a "nice to do", not must do. I guess we were wrong.
Not wrong at all, rinsing is actually not recommended. The finer particles of sand add to the bacterail surface area's making your biofilter stronger. As far as the fine silt, it common in newer tanks for it to foat into the water column for the first few months at least. Once it's weighed down by some derritus and bacteria it won't be a concern. IME, you made the right choice.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-20-2005, 05:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

After you return the fish you should start looking for a new store. Even the worst fish stores I've seen have at least a 3 day return policy. Good luck!
1 Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter
2 Hagen Aquaclear 802 Powerheads with Quick Filters
1 AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
1 200 watt Heater
52 pounds of Live Rock
2 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Ocelaris Clownfish
1 Hairy Mushroom Coral
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
8 Dwarf Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Margarita Snails
5 Cerith Snails
5 Bumblebee Snails
1 Queen Conch
johnd4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

DJ, Tropaquarium is our "home" store too. I was wondering what (if any) their return policy was. Sounds like it's not too good. Have you noticed that the people there "sound" intelligent, but then you come to this site and do some research you find that they have little clue about what they are talking about? You're right though, there are NO other stores in the area. Tons of FW places but nothing for SW. Kind of frustrating. . . . .

Good luck with your clouding issue. I hope it is only a short-term thing.
120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:04 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Neither of the stores in Wichita Falls take returns either. The local LFS says they don't want to catch a disease from the customer's tank. PetCo won't talk to me, so I don't know what their rational is. It probably says in the corporate handbook that they can only get fish from the corporate supplier. Has anyone worked at a chain store to shed some light on the issue?

Too bad no one else on the board is in the Texoma area, or I'd offer a free camel shrimp.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:15 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
DJ, Tropaquarium is our "home" store too. I was wondering what (if any) their return policy was. Sounds like it's not too good. Have you noticed that the people there "sound" intelligent, but then you come to this site and do some research you find that they have little clue about what they are talking about? You're right though, there are NO other stores in the area. Tons of FW places but nothing for SW. Kind of frustrating. . . . .
John
You are so right! I am there and they are SO incredibly convincing with their knowledge and then I come home and come here and NOPE. And it really stinks that they are pretty nice and I actually like some of the people. Do you buy their premade saltwater? If so, IM me.

DJ
75 pounds Live Rock
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

Old 02-21-2005, 01:06 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I was worried about the clouding too, but was assured by folks here that over time it would go away. My tank is now two years old and it only clouds in the corner where the clowns fan sand away from their anemone. Anything more than that means a ph fell down and is blowing sand. In either case the sand now settles quickly.

As for returns, I keep a couple of insulated boxes that I got from online purchases (pods kits, snails, etc.) or the store. Put the fish in a ziplock and then into the insulated shipping box.

As for lfs return policies, I have not found any in NJ that offer a guarantee on marine livestock. The Reefs (about an hour from Jackson) has a great selection and I've not had a problem with livestock from them I can't say that about any other lfs I have bought fish from, though I have not been to AF yet.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com