Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2005, 01:06 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ximat
Here's how i rinsed my sand. Put about a gallon in a 3 gallon bucked, then filled with water, and dumped the water back out...... Did that several times which got rid of a fare share of the "dust" I quit noticing a lot of dust floating after the first 6-8 weeks. I would say by far my goby is the most fascinating fish that I have, and have seen. I hate to hear you say you want to take him back. HTH

Old 02-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cmor, you can return fish to Absolutely Fish in Clifton also. Are you in Jackson? I've been to The Reefs but wasn't overly impressed.

DJ, We used to buy our SW from Trop but decided to start mixing our own. It just wasn't convenient enough. We picked up salt online for 50$ shipped which beat the prices they were willing to sell it for. We also got one of the Filter Direct RO/DI units off of ebay so we're pretty self sufficient now. Last I checked with them they were using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. We stuck with that when we started buying buckets of salt. We setup our tank in December with the stuff we bought from them.

Oh and we didn't rinse our sand either. It hasn't been a problem. Our maroon stirs the sand in her cave but it clears pretty quickly.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:22 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I hate to hear you say you want to take him back
Due to the fact that we could not catch him, and that a few folks here think the clouding will calm down after a while, we have decided to keep him. My son named his Sandy, even though I prefer Pigpen since he has a constant cloud of dirt around him at all times.

Phyl
We are also mixing our own SW now too. We don't have a RO/DI system so we buy the distilled water from Walmart and mix it with Instant Ocean. We have been having great luck with that.

Where's the best place you have found to buy the salt online?

DJ
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:30 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most recently I used Big Al's Online (www.bigalsonline.com) but before that I did a Froogle search and used the cheapest one that I came across (unfortunately they're no longer in business). I paid 45$ shipped per bucket this time around.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:24 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Phyl,

I used to live in Jackson. I moved to the Princeton area from TR about 3 years ago.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com