How do you return a fish to the LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, we have decided to return our sleeper gold head goby to the LFS. He is causing too much disruption in our tank with his sand sifting and we can't even see in the tank (which is the reason we have the tank :)) . I knew he was going to sift the sand and that is what I wanted him for, I just had no idea it would be so violently. I pictured it to be a little more methodical like an algae eater in a fresh water system.

Anyway, just got off the phone with the LFS. At first they said they would not take him back. Then they reconsidered because we just got him yesterday and said if I can bring him back in TODAY they will give me store credit.

I know it will be near impossible to catch the little bugger, (and will glady take any suggestions you have with that) but assuming I DO catch him, what do you return him in? A tubberware? A freezer size baggie?

DJ

I like to use Ziplok style bags. Inexspensive and easy to open/close.

FWIW, you might want to look for a new LFS. They should at the very least have a return policy/guarantee of some kind. Most will give you a 30-50% store credit but IMO, not offering anything doesn't say much for their customer service.

Just imagine if you where to buy some equipment that turned out faulty or something, you'd be hooped. 8O

Cheers
Steve

My lfs will take and give store credit for any fish even if you didn't buy it there. They do not want people to throw away or flush any fish and will take all unwanted ones and give you some store credit.

Believe me I WISH I could find another LFS. I belive that is the most frustrating this about this hobby. There are no other LFSs by me that do SW. (This one is actually 45 minutes awa). They have a 48 hour return policy on any livestock that dies that fast. (IMO not long enough, we usually buy on Saturday. They have limited hours on Sunday and I can't get there on Mondays because it is too far away to make it there after work before they close. ) fortunately, the one thing I will say about them is we have not lost any fish we have bought from them. However, when I first called they said they won't take a fish back just because you "change your mind". The manager then changed his mind and said he will give me a store credit (I paid $40 for him) if I can get him back there today. Tomorrow the deal is off.

<< I usually use the bucket that I use for water changes. >>

You take the whole big bucket to the LFS?

DJ

My store is close and my bucket is only 3 gallons. It's one of those pourable mop tubs.

I just use the bags the fish come home in. I always have a few on had just in case.

Ziplocks for me too. Just make sure you protect it from bumping aghianst something in the car and springing a leak.

My LFS gives 40% back.

My tank is 2 months old.

No the store is not Absolutely Fish (I LOVE that store but it is 1.5 hours from my house). It is Tropaquarium in Eatontown.

We have been trying to catch this thing for 2 hours. I don't think there IS anything more frustrating! :roll: First my husband stood perfectly still with the net in the water and thought it might just come out of it's cave in the rockwork by itself. He really stood there for a long time. Now we just made a trap out of a water bottle. If he doesn't get in that soon we are removing liverock in 1 hour. Re-aquascaping anyone?

DJ

Did you rince your sand before you put it in the tank? The reason I ask, when i first got my goby my tank was 5 weeks old. I did a real sloppy job rinsing the sand so there was still a lot of "dust" in it. Every time anything stirred up the sand you couldn't see for a couple days. Now my tank is 3 months old and I don't have the problem any more. Although my goby likes to tunnel and make mounds of sand, he's awesome to watch, and doesn't stir up all the dust he used to. The filters ate it all!

Ximat
We didn't rinse our sand at all (Tropical Playsand) because we established the tank in December and it was much too cold out to do that outdoors and we couldn't figure out how to do it indoorts. To be honest, we thought that was a "nice to do", not must do. I guess we were wrong.
OK, you are our first glimmer of hope here that this might not be forever. If we keep him do you think that this dust problem will eventually go away? How long do you think?

DJ

djmpj2 said:
To be honest, we thought that was a "nice to do", not must do. I guess we were wrong.
Not wrong at all, rinsing is actually not recommended. The finer particles of sand add to the bacterail surface area's making your biofilter stronger. As far as the fine silt, it common in newer tanks for it to foat into the water column for the first few months at least. Once it's weighed down by some derritus and bacteria it won't be a concern. IME, you made the right choice.

Cheers
Steve

After you return the fish you should start looking for a new store. Even the worst fish stores I've seen have at least a 3 day return policy. Good luck!

DJ, Tropaquarium is our "home" store too. I was wondering what (if any) their return policy was. Sounds like it's not too good. Have you noticed that the people there "sound" intelligent, but then you come to this site and do some research you find that they have little clue about what they are talking about? You're right though, there are NO other stores in the area. Tons of FW places but nothing for SW. Kind of frustrating. . . . .

Good luck with your clouding issue. I hope it is only a short-term thing.

Neither of the stores in Wichita Falls take returns either. The local LFS says they don't want to catch a disease from the customer's tank. PetCo won't talk to me, so I don't know what their rational is. It probably says in the corporate handbook that they can only get fish from the corporate supplier. Has anyone worked at a chain store to shed some light on the issue?

Too bad no one else on the board is in the Texoma area, or I'd offer a free camel shrimp. :(

DJ, Tropaquarium is our "home" store too. I was wondering what (if any) their return policy was. Sounds like it's not too good. Have you noticed that the people there "sound" intelligent, but then you come to this site and do some research you find that they have little clue about what they are talking about? You're right though, there are NO other stores in the area. Tons of FW places but nothing for SW. Kind of frustrating. . . . .

John
You are so right! I am there and they are SO incredibly convincing with their knowledge and then I come home and come here and NOPE. And it really stinks that they are pretty nice and I actually like some of the people. Do you buy their premade saltwater? If so, IM me.

DJ

I was worried about the clouding too, but was assured by folks here that over time it would go away. My tank is now two years old and it only clouds in the corner where the clowns fan sand away from their anemone. Anything more than that means a ph fell down and is blowing sand. In either case the sand now settles quickly.

As for returns, I keep a couple of insulated boxes that I got from online purchases (pods kits, snails, etc.) or the store. Put the fish in a ziplock and then into the insulated shipping box.

As for lfs return policies, I have not found any in NJ that offer a guarantee on marine livestock. The Reefs (about an hour from Jackson) has a great selection and I've not had a problem with livestock from them I can't say that about any other lfs I have bought fish from, though I have not been to AF yet.

Back
Top Bottom