Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
How do you tell if you're feeding enough?

I'm starting to get a little paranoid about how much I feed my 2 ocellaris. I feed once a day, alternating flakes and various frozen (mysis, formula 1, etc.) I give a pinch of flakes or a few scrapings from a cube--not much at all. They run around like idiots eating for a couple of minutes and then that's it. Some food settles to the floor, but not a whole lot; they will pick off the bottom at times.

Anyway, when I look at other people's feeding questions it seems like I'm not giving them very much. . . they are always ravenously hungry and begging, but they were like that when I fed 2x a day, as well. They seem fine--active and alert, no pinched tummies or anything . . .

So how do you tell when you are feeding just the right amount?

75-gallon SW tank with 29-gallon sump
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
As some would say, a hungry fish is a happy fish. It is hard to tell if they are getting enough sometimes. Mine seem to slow down when they are full, so I stop feeding at that time.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Your feeding just fine. Its way to easy to overfeed our fish. Remember we are keeping them in a closed system where excess food is hard to export with out turning into undesirables. If you feed every day then honestly your feeding more than I am. I know my tanks will go one and maybe two days between feedings sometimes. All my fish are healthy in shape and size. WHen I say shape I am talkinga bout the fish appearing plump and not skin and bones.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I feed once a day and its hard not to overfeed. My Heni's are the biggest pigs! They scarf up most of the food before anyone else can get to it. I actually have to misdirection them to one side of the tank with a little food and quickly drop some in the other side so the rest can eat too.
Its tough to get the bottom feeder fed and I walk a fine line with overfeeding.
Fortunately I have a lot of inverts and leftover food soon gets disposed of.
I probably should switch to every other day.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com