How do you tell LFS they are wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Well the LFS has something going with that they wont sell me a shrimp until I get my calcium up.

Now I know that calcium has nothing to do with shrimp, so how the heck are you supposed to tell LFS they are wrong?

Shrimp use Calcium to make their shells. Ca/Alk balance is important for inverts.
"Prior to molting, a shrimp will usually not eat for a couple of days and may not clean its exoskeleton. You may see diatoms growing on the exoskeleton because of this. It may also become secretive during this time as the shrimp may be re-absorbing some of the calcium from its current exoskeleton to use in the new skeleton, therefore its armour will not be as strong."

Maybe they werent meaning calcium, I cannot remember what the heck they had said (Dont remember now).

I remember telling someone about it, Ill look at my logs.

Well I cant find it anywhere, but I remember it was some funky trace element (Im thinking it is not calcium now) that you have to add (Not iodine either).

Well he kept bugging me to bring in a sample of water, thought I would shut him up by bringing one in :)

I can always tell him I added whatever he told me...

Your salt mix should be keeping all your trace elements in good quantities. I do, however, admire any store that tries(even strangly so) to make sure they don't sell to anyone who isn't ready. Most stores don't even care if you are set up to handle an animal, they just want to make a buck. Is he just trying to sell you some kind of treatment/trace chemical or is he just genuinely interested in making sure you don't kill something.

Well if you walk into here saying "I want this" they will sell it to you.

But if you ask their opinion they may tell you.

I would wish this town had another fish store though.

I do, however, admire any store that tries to make sure they don't sell to anyone who isn't ready.
I thought the same when I read that. Zacdl, was it magnesium? If so, that is also directly related to Ca/Alk levels...

Not to be rude or anything but, You stated "I know calcium has nothing to do with shrimp" so obviously you don't know as much as you think. Maybe the LFS is correct, how would you know you can't even remember what they told you. LFS are not evil and some of them actually know what they are talking about.

just my .02

Was it....strontium? That's the only other trace besides iodine and magnesium that you'd test for and be able to dose separately.

Zack my buddy...You should be happy that you have a lfs that actually cares.. :D

Maybe you could call them and ask them again why it is that they wont sell to you... :wink:

Hey...

Someone on here told me Calcium had nothing to do with shrimp.

Thats why I said that, but I am still sure that thats not what the LFS said that I needed.

revhtree said:
Zack my buddy...You should be happy that you have a lfs that actually cares.. :D

Maybe you could call them and ask them again why it is that they wont sell to you... :wink:

Agreed. Be VERY thankful you have a lfs that is willing to say, "if I sell this to you it won't survive, so I won't sell it to you." most lfs will think to themselves, "hey, if it dies, he'll come back and buy another one" and happily sell you the shrimp, not caring for you or the shrimp or you tank, only about making that $14.95 on the shrimp sale.

Now take it with a grain of salt to, make sure he's not just trying to get you to buy other additives. Call him back, BE POLITE, and ask him what it was he said you needed to raise before he'd sell you the shrimp. Then test your water for that yourself and let us know what he said and what you have tested for.

You forgot what I said earlier...

If you just walk in there and say "I want this" they will sell it to you no Qs asked.

I could walk in and say "I want 5 seahorses" and they would sell them to me...

errr ummm.......... I would just dose my system with kalk and take a sample back up there.

If you are really want to tell them they are wrong, just say "uuuuuuhhhhhh I don't know about that, i thought it was (then insert)" I do it all the time. What is the worst thing that can happen?

Well I dont want to argue with them they might jack their prices up to 200% the price of other people instead of 150% ;)

Back
Top Bottom