How does a sump work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bavass said:
If you take the water out of your sump till it barely covers the main pump. Then cut the pump off let the tank drain till it hits the siphon break see where the level is in your sump. Fill the water with pumps off till about 1-2" from the top cut pumps back on take a shapie and mark where the water line is once the tank fills back up and you will know what level to keep sump and you will be safe. Or you can buy a loc-line system for your return and have the spray across the surface and you should only have very little that siphons back to sump

Gonna try it next week.... Can i call you when i do it?

bavass said:
If you take the water out of your sump till it barely covers the main pump. Then cut the pump off let the tank drain till it hits the siphon break see where the level is in your sump. Fill the water with pumps off till about 1-2" from the top cut pumps back on take a shapie and mark where the water line is once the tank fills back up and you will know what level to keep sump and you will be safe. Or you can buy a loc-line system for your return and have the spray across the surface and you should only have very little that siphons back to sump

Thanks!!!

Squidy07 said:
thanks for the video that really helped me alot

I just watched it for the third time. I learned something every time and really appreciate that!

I try this out tomorrow. This lady has no idea if her tank is set up at the right levels so i have packed a wet vacuum! Not really funny but just in case you know?

I wish i could being you all with me but I'm hoping this that has kept me restless at night will work on Friday morning.

Cherrie O mate!

Openbrain said:
I just watched it for the third time. I learned something every time and really appreciate that!

I try this out tomorrow. This lady has no idea if her tank is set up at the right levels so i have packed a wet vacuum! Not really funny but just in case you know?

I wish i could being you all with me but I'm hoping this that has kept me restless at night will work on Friday morning.

Cherrie O mate!

Glad that my video is helping you to understand the system. If you need any more help just let me know i will try my level best to help ya. Subscribe to my youtube channel you will get to know when i upload any future video.

Got all cords labeled.

What is this?

image-802907132.jpg

Has a hose from wall

image-3277872920.jpg

And an in line valve

image-3320371572.jpg

Openbrain said:
What does it do ;)

Looking at the tubing type for the valve (and I have only read the last few posts of the thread), my guess is it was hooked up to a system to replenish water lost to evaporation OR was used in conjunction with a kalkwasser drip.

Rutrag said:
Looking at the tubing type for the valve (and I have only read the last few posts of the thread), my guess is it was hooked up to a system to replenish water lost to evaporation OR was used in conjunction with a kalkwasser drip.

It came on when the first area of the sump wasn't high enough for the water to come over the wall into the second stage.

My new question is this. This sump has a 1/8" hole drilled in the back of it where i assume they thought the water line would rise when power was cut. When i cut the power i had to bail water out of the sump because it almost went over the hole. However when i changed the water out today it took forever for the sump to get filled enough to start.

So i added more water in DT because i got nervous.

Should i have waited? How so you calculate the power off line and the water line fill line so when the power fails during GAs lovely tornado storm months coming up i don't have a flood coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom