Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Openbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass
If you take the water out of your sump till it barely covers the main pump. Then cut the pump off let the tank drain till it hits the siphon break see where the level is in your sump. Fill the water with pumps off till about 1-2" from the top cut pumps back on take a shapie and mark where the water line is once the tank fills back up and you will know what level to keep sump and you will be safe. Or you can buy a loc-line system for your return and have the spray across the surface and you should only have very little that siphons back to sump
Gonna try it next week.... Can i call you when i do it?
__________________

__________________
Openbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Openbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass
If you take the water out of your sump till it barely covers the main pump. Then cut the pump off let the tank drain till it hits the siphon break see where the level is in your sump. Fill the water with pumps off till about 1-2" from the top cut pumps back on take a shapie and mark where the water line is once the tank fills back up and you will know what level to keep sump and you will be safe. Or you can buy a loc-line system for your return and have the spray across the surface and you should only have very little that siphons back to sump
Thanks!!!
__________________

__________________
Openbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Openbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidy07

thanks for the video that really helped me alot
I just watched it for the third time. I learned something every time and really appreciate that!

I try this out tomorrow. This lady has no idea if her tank is set up at the right levels so i have packed a wet vacuum! Not really funny but just in case you know?

I wish i could being you all with me but I'm hoping this that has kept me restless at night will work on Friday morning.

Cherrie O mate!
__________________
Openbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester United Kingdom
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openbrain

I just watched it for the third time. I learned something every time and really appreciate that!

I try this out tomorrow. This lady has no idea if her tank is set up at the right levels so i have packed a wet vacuum! Not really funny but just in case you know?

I wish i could being you all with me but I'm hoping this that has kept me restless at night will work on Friday morning.

Cherrie O mate!
Glad that my video is helping you to understand the system. If you need any more help just let me know i will try my level best to help ya. Subscribe to my youtube channel you will get to know when i upload any future video.
__________________
Marine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Openbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 156
Got all cords labeled.


What is this?



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-802907132.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	98019


Has a hose from wall



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3277872920.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	98020



And an in line valve



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3320371572.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	98021
__________________
Openbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
Dividing by 0
Community Admin
 
fort384's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,926
Looks like a float switch to me.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Openbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
Looks like a float switch to me.
What does it do
__________________
Openbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rutrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openbrain

What does it do
Looking at the tubing type for the valve (and I have only read the last few posts of the thread), my guess is it was hooked up to a system to replenish water lost to evaporation OR was used in conjunction with a kalkwasser drip.
__________________
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Openbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag

Looking at the tubing type for the valve (and I have only read the last few posts of the thread), my guess is it was hooked up to a system to replenish water lost to evaporation OR was used in conjunction with a kalkwasser drip.
It came on when the first area of the sump wasn't high enough for the water to come over the wall into the second stage.

My new question is this. This sump has a 1/8" hole drilled in the back of it where i assume they thought the water line would rise when power was cut. When i cut the power i had to bail water out of the sump because it almost went over the hole. However when i changed the water out today it took forever for the sump to get filled enough to start.


So i added more water in DT because i got nervous.

Should i have waited? How so you calculate the power off line and the water line fill line so when the power fails during GAs lovely tornado storm months coming up i don't have a flood coming soon.
__________________

__________________
Openbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.