Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
How does this filtration method sound?

I want to run the Berlin method (do they still call it that or is that now considered standard?) on my 55 gallon tank. I've got 20 lbs of rock right now, 10 live, 10 base, with another 40 lbs from LR.com coming in today. I plan to add another 20 lbs or so in the near future.

I am running an Emperor 400 with the biowheels removed and with Kent-brand Reef Carbon and an Aquarium Systems protein skimmer with a Rio 600V water pump feeding it.

Does this filtration sound good? My last reef had a W/D system and I always had nitrate problems. I'm using RO water for water changes. What do you guys/gals think of my filtration system? I have room under the tank for a refugium someday also because my phosphates were running around 0.5. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55gal1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	520  

sdaccord03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to foma2000
sounds like your on the right track. what lights do you have? and r u planing on using supplements?

there once was a kid named colin. he looked just like a gorilla. his name wasn't magilla, because it was colin.
foma2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 260W of light over an 18" tank. (Coralife 4x65W PCs) I do plan to keep anything and everything that I can so eventually I know I'll need to add: Strontium/Molebdynm (sp?), Iodine, Calcium, kalkwasser.

I'd prefer to add calcium from a bottle and then add RO water instead of setting up a kalk drip method. (That is why people use kalk right? for calcium?) Thanks for the response and any more info would be great.

55G Reef Tank
80 lbs. LR
40 lbs. LS
1 Pink Tree Coral
1 Copperband Butterfly
1 Yellow Tang
1 Mandarin Goby
3 Peppermint Shrimp
20 Red-Legged Hermit Crabs
30 assorted Snails

6G Nano-Reef Tank (Eclipse Six)
10 lbs. LR
15 lbs. LS
1 Sebae Anemone
Several Purple Mushrooms
1 Bright Green Brain Coral
1 Sebae Clownfish
1 Yellow-tailed Damsel
1 Domino Damsel
6 Red-Legged Hermit Crabs
8 assorted Snails
sdaccord03 is offline   Reply With Quote

filtration, method

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com