Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how does this tank sound?

i got an offer for a 115 gallon octagon aquarium for 175, w/a fluval 303, but i couldnt find such thing as fluval 303...is there such thing? I'm thinkin of putting an aquaclear 500 on it as well. would this be nessesary? I"m only looking to set up as probably fish only w/no live rock at first, and eventually get some live rock, and long way down the road some nice lighting and corals.
let me know if i left anything out
thanks
mike

Old 03-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hagen relabeled all thier products a little while ago, the Aquaclear line was also renumbered.

Here's Hagen's manual page for Fluvial 303: http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/manuals/fluve01.cfm

If you want to go for corals, you might be better off investing in a skimmer instead of an aquaclear. The Fluvial should be plenty of circulation/filtration for fish only.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
You can still find replacement parts for it as well.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oh, thats great! thanks. I'll definately look into a skimmer for sure now.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

couple more things...
if i get mostly lace rock, and a little bit of live rock, will it eventually turn the lace rock into live rock? and will the liverock eventually do the same for sand?
also, is it true that you only need a protein skimmer if you have live rock and/or corals? LFS said this and i was kinda wondering if he knew what he was talking about but i dont know...
thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A protien skimmer, with live rock and supplimental circulation, can replace a normal filter. If you're not getting live rock right away, you do want a more traditional filter for the bacterial colonization space.

For a fish only tank, you don't really need the skimmer. Sorry, I forgot to account that you were not getting your live rock at first.

Sounds like you have a decent LFS! They actually told you not to buy something! (Or were they trying to sell you a more expensive product in it's stead?)
Old 03-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no he wasnt trying to sell me somethin else for once, lol.
but will live rock turn lace rock into live after a while? and same w/sand?
thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live rock organisms will spread to the lace rock. Bacteria will spread to the sand, and make it nominally "live" but high quality live sand also has a large varieity of sand-dwelling detrivores and pods in it. (Not the stuff prepackaged in plastic bags, the stuff you order from live rock sellers, that's kept in holding tanks until it's shipped to you.) You can do the same thing with sand as with rock, get mostly dead sand, and put a small amount of high quality live sand on top. Even just a cup of live sand from an established aquarium is enough to start some interesting life in it.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
You can purchase pods/worms to also jump start your tank with what you would find in quality lr/ls
http://www.reefnutrition.com/
http://www.ipsf.com/#anchor45957
http://www.inlandaquatics.com/prod/prod_detrit.html
www.seahorse.com[/b]
Old 03-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good links. A detrivore pack or detrivore kit would be what I had in mind for the sand.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com