How effective is ozone against marine Ich (Crypto) andVelvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigShot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking about adding zn ozonizer and running it at 3-5mg per 10gallons of water.
I wonder how effective is ozonizer at killing the free-swimming stage of marine Ich (Crypto) and marine velvet larvae?
Would UV light be more effective?

Thank you,
Luke

I wonder how effective is ozonizer at killing the free-swimming stage of marine Ich (Crypto) and marine velvet larvae?
Would UV light be more effective?

Ozone will kill anything that makes it to the reaction chamber, oxidizes it, therfore, it would only be effective against the freeswimming stage if it goes through the reaction chamber. I think there are two many variables to say which is more effective, I will say a UV is much safer for you and your fish.

I would say that either one will be effective in reducing the amount of freeswimming pathogens. I would recommend that if you are looking to implement one of these solutions, going with a UV instead of an Ozonizer. UV is also easier on the pocket.. I may be pre-mature on knowledge of Ozonizors but from what I understand, when using Ozonizers, you will need to be well versed in testing or using probes for ORP. Since Ozonizers increase the oxygen content in the water, testing is required to calibrate the amount of ozone needed and not needed to keep from saturating or emmiting more into the atmosphere than is utilized in the chamber...

Back
Top Bottom