How far do you let your Heliofungia wander?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pretty basic question:

How far do you let your Heliofungia (long-tentacled plate coral) wander around your tank? Do you move it when it places itself in a not-so-safe spot?

Mine doesn't move much, but it does slowly wander from the middle of the tank towards the other end. It usually seems to push itself up against the glass in the front, then wander. It's in a medium flow area, and I don't think flow is the issue. I think it just likes to explore. (?)

I'd let it go, but it eventually ends up underneath an overhang where crabs and snails seem to have a tendancy to fall off, and I don't want the thing taking a hit from a crab/snail shell falling from 12 inches! (Lost my first plate coral that way.) Soo... I wait until it's totally retracted, then move it.

Just curious how other folks deal with them. Little picket fences?!

I put it back where I want it when it wanders too far from home. Funny how they manage to "walk" around. I used to have mine next to a brain. It would crawl closer and closer to the brain every chance it could. Now that they're separated better it walks less.

Back
Top Bottom