How fast to safely change SG from 1.019 to 1.025

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long should it take to safely change SG from 1.019 to 1.025. Fish I ordered online came in water with a SG of 1.019 Hiow long should I take to raise it to 1.025. I have done it before but went really slow. Just wondered what is a a safe time frame for the fish.

If you can drip acclimate that would be your best option. If not, just float the bag for 20 mins, then add a cup of water to the bag every 15 minutes till the bag is full. Fish do pretty well with salinity changes, but it's still a good idea to be cautious.

The ultimate would be to QT him at 1.019 and then over the next week let evap take its toll on the tank. At the end of the week, by replacing evap with saltwater or even small extra salted water changes, you should be back up to snuff. In leui of that, I would do a 1-2 dps drip on him and when the parms matched toss him in!

Fish are pretty typically kept at the stores (online & lfs) at 1.017-1.019.

Phyl it is in a QT at 1.019. Last time I did it over a period of a week. I was wondering if it could be safley done in 2-3 days

Ahhhh ok. I went from 1.009 to 1.025 in a weeks time with water changes daily. The tang suffered no ill effects. I kept him at 1.025 for an extra week on the advice of Steve S to ensure that he could handle life at 1.025 and that no surprises would arise before he moved to his new home in my main.

Most people do that in 2 hours while they're acclimating a fish. 2-3 days is nice. You could even do smaller wc 2x daily instead to help move the SG up. Just use super strength water. I used excel to calculate the effect of each WC to know how many and how long to effect the necessary change.

Back
Top Bottom