How good are damsels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have 2 clowns, yellow tang, fire fish and neon goby and is wondering whether I should add a couple more yellow tail damsels. I am a bit reluctant to add them because of their aggressiveness. My clowns are always chasing off the fire fish and goby. And it looks like they might be victims of the damsels. Does anyone recomend keeping damsels with fire fish or goby and whether they will live happily together?

IMO damsels are only good to keep with other damsels, or aggressive fish that can fend for themselves. I had a blue Damsel harass the heck out of a pacific blue Tang 3 times it size. Needless to say the $5 fish went back to the store.

Damsels + Other Fish = Trouble

Loose the damsels. IMHO they are alot of trouble. I have 1 small yellow tail that does fine, and has never shown aggression. The clowns run him off. :wink:

A yellowtail blue damsel is the only one I havent heard of as having gone evil. Or has anyone had an evil yellowtail blue in the past?

I actually have a yellow-tailed damsel that thinks he owns the tank. He harrased my Trigger, as well as my Wrasse when I added them. I think he finally realized he's not big enough to take them on. The Trigger could swallow him whole. I do, however, have a blue devil damsel who gets along with all of them. I guess it is on in personality.

Mike

I had a yellow-tail in the same tank as my lionfish. He used to nip at the lions fins all the time. I think he even thought he was a lionfish sometimes trying to eat ghost shrimp and feeders the size of him or bigger. I finally was able to catch him and moved him to another tank before the lion got pissed off and made him a snack.

I had a yellow-tail in the same tank as my lionfish. He used to nip at the lions fins all the time. I think he even thought he was a lionfish sometimes trying to eat ghost shrimp and feeders the size of him or bigger. I finally was able to catch him and moved him to another tank before the lion got pissed off and made him a snack.

damsels are the chiahuahua of the fish world. Little bite, but love to act HUGE!!!!Next door neighbor flushed his when he finally caught it. He was pestering a lunar wrasse the whole time.

I used to have 4 yellowtails in the 70. Then I added an arc eye hawk.

Now there is 1 damsel left, but the arc eye is growing rapidly. 8O

my yellow tail damsel is really aggressive and try to attack my koran angel (who kill my blue ring angel last night). i think some damsel are really aggressive toward other fishes because i have about 4 blue devil damsels and they are very peaceful but my jewel dasel is like my yellow tail damsel, they are very aggressive and trying to attack the fin of my other fishes.

I have 2 Yellow Tails, a Bluefin (AKA: Royal Damselfish), and a 4 Stripe (Humbug).
They are all very friendly with their tank mates and each other.
Lucky me I guess.
:D

I have a three stripe damsel and a yellow tail damsel. Both are meek and mild as can be.

I agree with the one evil :evil: damsel :evil: for everyone theory.

I haven't (knock on wood) had a damsel go evil on me yet but there have been a few other fish in both fresh and saltwater that have gone on killing sprees in my tanks over the years. Currently I have a scopus tang that went evil - didn't kill anyone, just started beating the snot out of every other fish in the tank. He now lives with a green spotted puffer and they seem to have an understanding.

Back
Top Bottom