Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

how hard is it?????

My husband and I just got a 90gal saltwater setup for helping someone move we have 2 freshwater tanks rigt now my question is, how hard is it or where I can find a good article on what to do. I don't know anything about saltwater and it came with a lot of equipment not sure what to do.....

Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well there's several good threads here about starting saltwater. Cycling is pretty much the same process (the bacteria is different though, so what cycles a fresh tank won't cycle a salt tank) just like fresh, certain fish cannot be kept together. Salt requires monitoring of the salinity, and added freshwater to replace what evaporates. The fish, some say, can be more delicate. There are also some pretty good books on "your first marine aquarium", check amazon for the best prices.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can find a good book from petco. I would recommend the one with a Bangaii fish front cover. It is a black and white stripe fish. I just can't remember the name of the book. It has almost everything from basic with illustration to set up a simple to a more complicated tank. It also includes a guide on what fish are compatible to keep.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mr. Saltwater Tank TV was tremendously helpful to me. You can find him on youtube but he also has a website. He has videos on every aspect of saltwater tanks and he is very open to answering questions via email
Old 07-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you everyone for the help I'm quite nervous about trying it out. The tank came with four boxes of stuff its very confusing. I'll eventually figure it all out
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can post pics of the boxes may be we can sort them out and guide you.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Grab a coffee and a comfy chair Articles It's not as hard you think But it's not as easy as they say

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm really not far ahead of you. I started with my sister in law's 75 gallon saltwater tank and all the pieces sat in my garage for quite a while as I tried to figure out how to get started. I thought I did a good job of taking pics of how it went together before we broke it down and moved it...not so lucky. Everyone here has been great about answering all of my beginner questions...I'm sure some of them were almost comical! My first big decision was where to put it. After that, I've taken time with each step and read a lot in between. Right now I've just got a tank with some hermit crabs and some snails we brought home from the Gulf. I take my time each day and gradually move on to the next step, learning about how the equipment works as I go.

Good luck and have fun! My family is enjoying every step of the process.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com