Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-04-2004, 07:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
How hardy and fast does this grow?

I was thinking of buying this: http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD_Pseu...gorgia_pur.htm

but I can't really find any info on it. How hardy is it, and does it grow pretty quickly?

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
It is in the gargonia family. It looks like the specis P. bipinnata. According to Borneman's book, they are faily hardy and adaptible to a variety of conditions. They are shallow water gorgonias and do require moderate lighting for survival. They also can grow very large (the size of small trees). They require high flow and need frequent cleaning to to keep microalgrea and cyno off of it. Also, try to get an animal that is attatched to a clump of substrate, they tend to do better. Good luck...Lando

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have kept those in one of my reefs. Definatly would recomend it. Two rules you need to follow though. VERY HIGH current, preferably with a wave maker (dont put it right on the output of a powerhead, unless you have a Tunzee Streams, because it can rip the tissue right off). Second, make sure to supliment feeding at least twice a week, either with phyto or zooplankton, or by stirring up the gravel with the filter turned off, and still strong current from the powerheads. That should prove a hardy species in a well lit, well fed, well circulated tank.

Visit me at www.reefguru.com
ReefGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Sounds great guys, I may just order it this week!! I'm a little concerned about the cold weather but if I can pick up at the Fedex station at 9am it will help.

I do have 2x250 watt MH's so I"m not too concerned about lighting. I also dose my tank with DT's twice a week but I've been slacking on that so I guess I'll have to start again.

Since this seems to be somewhat rare and the color is amazing I'm hoping I can trade some frags of it with some local friends!!

Thanks for the input
jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com