How hardy is hammer coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a small hammer coral (branching) in my six-week old tank, in which zoos, Xenia, Montipora and mushrooms are thriving. I was cautioned on another forum (too late!) about adding a hammer coral "so soon".

Assuming my water params are ok, is there a reason to be concerned?

I thought that hammers and frogspawn were similar/related... probably not but they look so much alike it is hard not to make that leap. My frogspawn, most of which was introduced some time close to the 2mo mark has been thriving in my tank since it hit the water. My branching frogspawn has 3 new branches on it since going in. I have a sliver that broke off of my big one that is also attached to a rock and thriving quite nicely for as tiny as it is and my small frogspawn is doing really well too. It took a while for that one to find a spot in the tank that it liked but it is really happy now!

Is there something wrong with your hammer or are they just doom sayers?

If all the other corals are doing good and water is in check. I don't see anything wrong with having the hammer coral. Make sure to give the hammer some space away from other corals because they might send out sweeper tenticles which will sting near by corals.

I placed my the hammer in low-medium flow and it likes it.

Is there something wrong with your hammer or are they just doom sayers?

I think the latter. It looks GREAT. It's open and sways gently in a low current. Brilliant glow-in-dark ends under moonlights.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom